Dark Energy by carlsojos

Chapter 57

I'm woken up by Demi once we had reached the destination. I look out the window to see a huge stone complex rising into the sky. I put on my furs and, after a quick thought, my new armor; I may as well, since the padding isn't really broken in yet. We all trudge out towards a couple guards by the only apparent entryway, Jeetoh leading the way.

Jeetoh? Where were you?

I was trying to find information, since I was denied an audience with Lutz.

You and your companions need to head to the inner sanctum, and explain yourselves to the Elder. You are in serious trouble, Jeetoh. The two Espers stand aside, and we make our way to a courtyard near the center of the mansion, where more guards block our path.

I need to speak with the elder. Is he available?

I notice something inside my mind, but it doesn't feel like Jeetoh when he intrudes on me. I wonder if anyone else notices when their mind is probed?

Very well, Go on in. We head into a small building within the courtyard, to find an old man wearing ceremonial robes. He looks rather unhappy.

I expect an explanation now. Don't try to manipulate your thoughts, young Jeetoh. Jeetoh closes his eyes, and the two Espers seem to have a silent conversation. The elder turns to me. I see. And who are these people you brought?

Sir, I'm-

Enough. I feel that I'm at a disadvantage, being unable to even resist these mind readers. So, you think that Lutz holds the answer, yet none of you truly know who he is.

Unless this Firdaus guy is trying to draw us off....

The elder seems to have ignored me. The Great Light has returned to Algo for one more battle. Jeetoh, go downstairs. I do not believe that you are ready yet, but the Telepathy Ball will let you know if you are.

Dora looks at me, mirroring my confused look. What's a Telepathy Ball?

Jeetoh looks up; he seems a little uneasy. A magical device that holds memories?

Go, now. If it is indeed time, you will still be breathing when you leave the sanctum, Jeetoh. Jeetoh walks downstairs by himself. As for you three, I don't have anything in particular for you.

I decide not to take my leave yet. Actually, I'd like to ask you, who is Lutz, if we don't know who he is?

The leader of the Espers. He has held this position for over two millenia.

How is that possible? Not even the most resilient aquatic creatures I've ever studied can live more than a few centuries.

Demi puts a hand on my shoulder. I could argue the possibility of cryogenics or cloning, but I remember talking to Wren once about Lutz and Rune. There's a trick behind it, but the file seems corrupted.

The answer will return to you, android. It will take at least a day before we find out what happens to Jeetoh, so feel free to use the beds in the East Wing.

Thanks.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!