Dark Energy by carlsojos

Chapter 30

Once we reach the edge of town, we sit down on the bank of a canal. I take the chance to refill my canteen.

Ray asks, How do you know so much law, Marika?

I studied it a little as a girl. At one point I was on track to become a city guard. I only had a few lessons, though; nothing practical.

Well, Money, What now? Ray is looking at Etirn.

He shakes his head. We're at a dead end. That machine place isn't safe, and I don't know of any other systems we can hijack without jeopardizing Motavia's ecosystem. However, that freak's words are stuck in my head. Rika was a person and an ancestor of Marika? Somehow, I don't think it's pure bullshit. Even if you count the names as coincidence.

On a whim, I make a suggestion. I'd like to go back to Aiedo. Maybe the answer lies there.

Well, it's more of a plan than what I have. Suddenly, the radio on my ear squelches. I wince at the sudden interruption.

Outerbeast 1, Motavia U. Please respond, Bay.

The radio's working now! I wonder if that building we were in affected it.

Etirn nods. I got it. Outerbeast 1 responding.

You are requested to report to Technology Department, as soon as possible. You are required for Project Rappy. I repeat, report in A.S.A.P. End.

Shit. Etirn turns to me. Marika, follow your instincts. It's the only lead we have at the second. I gotta go to Piata, yesterday. My ultimate project needs me. I'll cover for you if anybody asks about your disappearance. Etirn pulls out some money. Ray, how's 500 to escort her until I get back?

Ray takes the money and starts counting it. You're pretty generous for raw meat.

Etirn starts laughing. You think that? Wait 'til I'm not a mummy. When next we meet, Marika. Etirn limps off. Ray and I go to the inn for lunch, then set off in the same direction...The ruins of Aiedo are north, then west from Zema.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!