Dark Energy by carlsojos

Chapter 27

My dream started as a simple void, invoked by my mind simply not firing. I know what mental shock is. Some stresses can trick the body into thinking it's in danger. Certain vessels dilate, others constrict, the body get ready to fight. This time, something went wrong, and there wasn't enough energy for my body to answer the call. My brain doesn't get enough of the remaining resources, and it's goodnight and sleep tight. But I've never actually experienced it before. After a while, my system returns to normal, and I start dreaming colors.

Eventually, I find myself in some mud... I was knocked down? The mean bucket guy. The world is on fire. What was I looking for? My parents. I begin crying....

Marika! I look up. My dad! I get up and run into his embrace. He's covered in ash, but I'm just so glad to see him again. He leads me to a dead end street. The way out of town is blocked, but I have an idea. He crouches down. Get on my shoulders and I'll help you climb over the wall.

I realize that he can't follow me over - he can't reach over the city wall to pull himself up. What about you?

He pats me on the head. There was a little fear in his eyes, but it was overshadowed by a certain calmness. I'll be fine. You have to get out of here. I decide to trust him, and climb onto his shoulders. He stands up, and I manage to get onto the wall. I look back at my dad. Remember, Marika, you can do great things. The ability is there, if you will it to be. Suddenly, a building collapses, hitting the side of the wall. It doesn't collapse, but the shaking knocks me off. I fall into the darkness below....


I wake with a start. I run my fingers through my hair. No ashes. It's just a dream. It must be late out, as I can see the stars out the window. I notice I seem to be in a child's room. It's a bit dusty, but there are lots of little toys laying around. On a desk, one of those expensive pens that holds ink inside itself sits, partially disassembled. Ray's sitting in a chair in the corner, snoring lightly, and my jacket and claws are by the door. I close my eyes and simply listen, reminding myself that I'm not in any danger right now. A light breeze is blowing through the open window. What's that? I notice some kind of ruckus. It's not very close, I can barely hear it. Someone is talking. ...you get for threatening me, bastard! I realize it's a fight! I slip out of bed, and put on my claws. I don't turn a blind eye to someone in need.

When I step outside, I find a brawl between that guy from earlier and...Etirn? I see the glint of steel in Etirn's holster. I realize he isn't even trying to block the blows! You should've left when you could, asswipe!

Hey! I push the aggressor back.

He simply looks at me. Stay out of this, damn girl! I hear Etirn collapse behind me. I turn to him.

Even though he's clearly in pain, he manages to smile. Payback's a ...Cough... Bitch....

The guy starts walking towards Etirn. You're about to find out.

I push him back again before he could strike. Try me on for size.

He looks confused for a second. Huh?

Kicking ass is only half value without a good opponent.

I could hear Etirn trying to stop me. I shake his hand off my ankle. A little cocky, aren't we? Just because you have horns on your head? That insult just sealed his fate. I walk towards him, and his eyes go wide when I extend the claws. Whoa...

I smile a little. Etirn is right.

My victim finds that he's backed up against a wall. Just calm down... I can see pure fear in his eyes, likely mirroring my malice.

Payback is a bitch! I backhand him with the claw, leaving 3 red marks across his face. Taking care to use only the blunt sides, I unleash a fury of blows on his torso. A well placed kick puts him on the ground. As he starts to roll away, I thrust my left claw through his shirt sleeve, pinning him to the ground. I hold my other claw at his throat to stop his struggling. I consider different ways to humiliate him, but I settle on the simple approach. I can kill you right now. I pause for dramatic effect. He wets himself. Instead, I will give you one chance to learn from your mistake. Don't squander the opportunity. I retract the claws and get up. I've never heard a man scream with such a high pitch. I've also never seen anyone run that fast. Perhaps this humbling experience helps the bully. I hear a door open behind me. I look over and see Ray. Is it just me or- Ray sees Etirn. Whoa, what happened here?

Somebody apparently attacked Etirn; he didn't fight back.

Ray looked him over. Who could possibly be that pissed off that they would beat him within not even an inch of his life?

I shrug. Somebody who just got their ass kicked by a girl. Ray chuckles. I can't imagine what might've happened if I didn't hear the fight.

Ray takes out a vial of Dimate. He opens it and rubs it into the open wounds, since an unconscious person might choke if fed. It's been a long time since I've seen this much blood loss, but nothing seems broken. I recommend that he sleeps here, in case there's a back injury I don't see.

Okay.

Ray stands up. He'll feel this in the morning. And the next morning. And probably the one after that. Let's get some sleep. Since I was already well rested, Ray got the bed, and I pulled out the autobiography. I skip a few sections and found the interview with Fal. Apparently, she married a hunter named Rudy and had a son. I become so engrossed in the text that I didn't notice the moonlight be replaced with the sun until Etirn's mother knocks on the door with an offer of breakfast.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!