Phantasy Star "Generation: 4" - A Relocalization Patch

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Phantasy Star "Generation: 4" - A Relocalization Patch

Postby GhaleonUnlimited » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:46 pm

Hi all, long story short, I ended up relocalizing the entire script as well as retranslating important parts of PSIV. All because "Parma" and "Lubetz" have bothered me since 1995.

The patch is v 1_40 and has been comprehensively re-edited and tested to about 60% through the game, so I figured it might be in good enough shape to share. (1_40 should be uploading to RHDN today, 10/17/18.)

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4171/

Screenshots:

Its primary goal: restore every mistranslated connection to the other PS games, to and ensure the main story & series themes best match the original Japanese.

Its secondary goal: make the game’s script more colloquial, fun, and emotional, from NPCs to key story moments.

More screenshots and commentary at the project page: https://gamesdonelegit.com/phantasy-star-iv-generation-4-retranslation

Thanks to The Cutting Room Floor as well as lory1990's Japanese skills -- and lory1990 also made a bugfix patch for PSIV that I've included in this release, along with creating the disassembly of PSIV that even made this project possible.

Vivify, who also has worked on PSG1 & 2, has also helped me out a great deal too, and also did the original ProperCaser mod for PSIV.

I really enjoyed putting this together, and hope it gives fans either an excuse to play through such a fantastic game again, or give new people an excuse to give it a shot!

All my contact info is in the readme, etc., so if you have questions/comments/bugs, feel free to send! Thanks for everyone to keeping the memory of the classic PS games alive!
GhaleonUnlimited
Pinchant
Pinchant

Re: Phantasy Star "Generation: 4" - A Relocalization Patch

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:07 pm

This is some great stuff! :D You really outdid yourself.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby GhaleonUnlimited » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 am

Thanks so much again for all your help!

Lory told me how to add the Shadow Mirages back into the game, so that's prob one of the last big things to do.

I might have Alys talk to Rudy through the Elsydeon for a few lines too.
GhaleonUnlimited
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Doctor Hooves » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:10 pm

This looks really great! I likely won't be able to play it anytime soon, but it still looks pretty good.

Also, were there any changes to anything like items? Great looking hack eitherway.
Doctor Hooves
Blastoid
Blastoid

*applauds*

Postby Zucca » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:13 pm

Really nice work!
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby GhaleonUnlimited » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Doctor Hooves wrote:This looks really great! I likely won't be able to play it anytime soon, but it still looks pretty good.

Also, were there any changes to anything like items? Great looking hack eitherway.

Hey, sorry, I forgot that I posted this here!

I actually just finally completed the game myself w/ the patch, so naturally I found tons of more things to fix.

So if you (and anyone else) waited to give this a look, I'm glad you did! I'd consider it "finalish" now.

What kind of item changes were you thinking of? I didn't change any stats or properties if that's what you mean.

I did change item names only when it made sense with ProperCaser -- like "TORN-DAGGR" or whatever it was is now "TornadoDgr". Stuff like that.

Accompanying the hack is a (now incomplete) list of changes w/ explanations to the proper nouns and the script in the game, as a Word doc. So feel free to check that out.

Any other questions, please let me know and I'd love to answer them.
GhaleonUnlimited
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:44 pm

Looks like a great project for Benoit's Typo Corner.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Paladin356 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:25 am

So I was wondering. You mentioned retranslating the script. Was this from the japanese version? IM curious because i was a bit surprised (and amused) to hear Chaz call Rune a pain in the *ss.
Paladin356
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby thepeaguy83 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 pm

To be fair, the core fans of the original series are in their 30s-40s now.

Might as well make it more adult.
thepeaguy83
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Return to Fan stuff