Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2

Postby Blaw- » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:58 pm

I guess it'll take time to get back some peoples here.

By the way, Tryphon sent me that : http://www.hiei-tf.fr/SLPM_625.rar (to test it, so I'm sharing it with you).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:18 pm

Thank you very very much Blaw- as always your help is precious!!

I've managed to TEST the FIX and it works (started a new game witout cheat values)!!!!

Unfortunately this file is ONLY usable with HIS beta 0.8....Can you ask Tryphon the python script with the FIX to replace in algoring?

It should be "patchPSGEN2.py"
Last edited by Goldenboy on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:36 am

Goldenboy wrote:For the TESTING subject thing I'm a bit POLEMIC.

I've read about 10 pages of the ORIGINAL TRANSLATION PROJECT of people wining of "this and that", of the fact that everyone disapperead,etc etc.....NOW that I (we) brought up back the project for PSGEN1-2 alive i was expecting MUCH MUCH more SUPPORT .

In my original post i ONLY asked for people to play GAME and report....but ONLY YOU and Blaw are actively supporting me and trying to FINALIZE PROJECT!!

I CAN'T SEE THE COMMUNITY SUPPORT! SORRY! I FIND EXTREMELY UNFAIR THAT YOU (WE) HAVE TO DO ALL ALONE...we're working as FANS for FANS...

Sorry for this little rant

It's OK! I understand entirely where you're coming from. I feel like it's partially my fault because I stated outright at one point that an update was probably never coming. It doesn't help things that we misunderstood PSGEN1's problem, and thought it was caused by the translation. I am also sorry if I've stepped on your toes in some way for expressing interest in wanting to finish PSGEN1 v3.00 before testing v2.00b of PSGEN2. PSGEN1 is probably the biggest project I've ever done, and so the updates from v2.10 onward are kind of like "my baby," and I want to see it be the best it can be.

I vow that I'm passionate about these projects, and I will never abandon them. It's just that I'm adding on to so much of PSGEN1's rather dry, terse script that it feels like a (much-needed) third draft.

I'm no longer testing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, so I can get back to this project in earnest.

Blaw-, I have a question for you. I know Tryphon is busy, but if it's at all possible, I'd still rather just send PSGEN1's v3.00 English translation to Tryphon and test the game that way. Algoring is still pretty foreign to me, and I'm nervous about using it, and about running into the bugs I had to work out with Tryphon. If you could ask him for me if he'd be willing to work on it like we used to, I'd be very grateful, even though I know it's asking a lot. I really just need the Arcane icon inserted, as well as my new SLPM and EVENT text. You can tell him it won't be like before, where I'd send him a crap-ton of updates as I tested. I planned on fully testing the game and checking for typos and syntax errors before shipping off the next revision.

If nothing else, do you think he could send me Algoring already set up for PSGEN1 v2.10? That way, I know the bugs won't crop up, and I should already know how to add the Arcane icon thanks to Goldenboy's tutorial.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:33 pm

I guess he'll post here soon or later anyway, he's still working on it.

I don't see why he wouldn't fix everything for PSGEN1 anyway, as I'm still interested to translate the game.

About the SLPM files, you can just add them to algoring, it should insert them fine.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:48 pm

@Blaw-

It doesn't work..i've replace the japanese base SLPM in "ORIGINAL" folder and it trows errors...

I'm trying to reverse-engineering IT but it's difficult...If Tryphon have the updated version of the algoring scripts it would be more easy

PS: I also tried to replaced HIS SLPM into my ISO (working) but as expected i'ill lost all MY FIXEs to ECM, Silka Tornado etc. etc.

PS2: Just to BE CLEAR...If HE still working on it and want to complete the project...i'll make a step back.
I don't know if he knows about this V2 and what he thinks (support me)..... The V2 post is born because i've understanded that Tryphon didn't want to continue (or have enough time) ...so if he continue i'll stop here and wait HIM patiently. ;)
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm

I think the best solution would be to send Tryphon your improved text files and other updates (Alignment of EXP values, etc) so he could implement the item drop crash fix, when the time comes.

Oh, speaking of ECMs, I noticed a couple of small things about their text. It reads a little funky as it is now...

"Applying to [Weapon] the [Element] element.
It will costs [Amount] meseta. Proceed?"

I know this is because you can't move the text variables for [Weapon] and [Element]. It's a good effort! But I was wondering, is it possible to rephrase the ECM text entirely? Maybe we could make it sound more robotic, since the ECM is just a computer.

Here's my suggestion:
"Imbuing [Weapon] with the [Element] element.
Requires fee of [Amount] meseta. Proceed?"

Secondly, there's a consistency issue. The ECM has these available elements.

Here's where the problems come in.

1. The Water techs say that the cold element is called "ice." I think it should be "ice" in the ECM for consistency.
2. You changed the element "Thunder" to "Lightning". (A great change, BTW! Thank you! It only makes sense...) But the ECM still calls it "Thunder". This should be fixed, if we can.

Just my suggestions! The update is fine-as is, IMO. So if you're not up for this, you don't have to release a new version just for this right now. :D But it's definitely something to note, I think.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:38 pm

Goldenboy wrote:@Blaw-

It doesn't work..i've replace the japanese base SLPM in "ORIGINAL" folder and it trows errors...

I'm trying to reverse-engineering IT but it's difficult...If Tryphon have the updated version of the algoring scripts it would be more easy

PS: I also tried to replaced HIS SLPM into my ISO (working) but as expected i'ill lost all MY FIXEs to ECM, Silka Tornado etc. etc.

PS2: Just to BE CLEAR...If HE still working on it and want to complete the project...i'll make a step back.
I don't know if he knows about this V2 and what he thinks (support me)..... The V2 post is born because i've understanded that Tryphon didn't want to continue (or have enough time) ...so if he continue i'll stop here and wait HIM patiently.

The problem is, before he fix it directly in algoring, we need someone who can test the fix on real hardware.

I can't, personally, as I don't have a real PS2 anymore.

Once we'll be sure it works fine on emulator and real hardware, we'll have a fixed algoring and you'll be able to create a new working version.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:03 am

I'll start looking for people to help us out.

In the meantime, I'm up to the town before Abion in my PSGEN1 script revision.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Goldenboy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:07 am

Enough "chit-chat" it's SUNDAY!! Time for a new release!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Thanks to SandyLandale's precious tips I've made some adjustments.

Here the list of FIXES/Improvements of Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation V2d:

1) COMPLETELY REWORKED ECM Menu.
Unfortunately Japanese language utilizes a SINGLE KANJI for each element, so all the GAME was originally built on this paradidgm and the space is VERY VERY limited. So i DECIDED to change WORD into ICON, this brings a LOT of benefits in the economy of the project:
a) MUCH MUCH cleaner ECM SUMMARY (first windows of EMC menu)
b) No more Consistency /ambiguity problems with Techs/weapons: I'm looking at you Water/Ice, lightning/thunder :lol: :lol: :lol:
c) Less space required in SLPM txt.
d) MTE free words

2)CHANGED IN BATTLE IMBUED ELEMENT WEAPON DESCRIPTION (now utilizes ICONs too only for consistency, pointer is different).

3) FIXED Missing "North Bridge" & "West Bridge" Location.

EDIT:
4)!!!I MANAGED TO REVERSE ENGINEERING TRYPHON's SLPM and integrated the FIX DROP ITEM BUG into my release!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

[SCREENSHOTS]

Image Image Image ImageImage

Please Download new version in OP and let me know....

@Blaw-
As suggested by SandyLandale..Can we point him to work on this V2 version instead of the beta? (My original plan as said in the OP)
I can send him all the modified folder if he wants not only the ISO.
Let's be clear, i want him to work on this version not because it's mine BUT because, as i said earlier, i can work out all typos and aesthetic changes and became LIKE a FRONT-END/FIRST LEVEL for all this little things and LET NOT WASTE HIS TIME.
Last edited by Goldenboy on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:49 pm

From what I know, he'll update algoring with the fix.

Once, it'll be done, I'll share the fixed algoring and then you'll be able to rebuild your own version.

But we still need to find someone with a real PS2 to be sure the crashs are completely fixed.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:18 pm

I reached out to a friend of mine who says she'll look into getting either some new SwapMagic discs or a Free McBoot Memory Card for us. Her PS2 is already otherwise hard-modded.

Edit 1 - Just took a peek at the changelog for the newest revision... I love it! It looks great! Using the icons was a genius move. Thank you so much, Goldenboy!!!

So right now, it looks like I just need Tryphon's PSGEN1 v2.10 folder and we won't need any more of his help for this after all. If I can just use the Batch EXE and associated files on that version of Algoring, as soon as I'm done expanding PSGEN1's v3.00 script, we can get started on testing in earnest.

Edit 2 - Minutes ago, I finished the first pass of PSGEN1 v3.00's script. Next up is the second pass, then it's ready for insertion into the game. I work fast!
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Here's the fixed "patchPSGEN2.py" file : http://www.hiei-tf.fr/patchPSGEN2.rar (have to put be in the "utils" folder and overwrite the old one).

I quickly translated his message in english:

Okay, I looked into it and indeed my personal algoring is more recent (I had continued hacking PSGEN1, I probably also applied some modifs for PSGEN2 meanwhile) and have a difference with the old version:

In the old version, I had wrote a text display routine, and I had modified each call to the original function to re-route them to my own function.

In the new version, I completely replaced the old display function by my own function, so I don't have to modify the calls, they directly run mine.

And so, the bug is no more present! In the old version, presumably, I had forgot to modify a function call, the one which displayed the text if a item was drop, and this is what made the game crash.

I send you the patcher. If you want the entire package (to test if PSGEN1 is working, for example), say it to me.

@ SandyLandale : He asked me if I wanted the last version for PSGEN1, I said yes, so I guess I'll have it soon.

Edit : I compared the two .py files, just because I'm curious and here's the differences :

Old version :

Code: Select all
# Replace calls to $155978 by calls to r_pixel_len
    prg.insert(ee_jal(r_pixel_len) + '******** ******** 2d906000', 0x14c240)
    prg.insert(ee_jal(r_pixel_len) + '******** ******** 2d306000', 0x14c26c)

New version :
Code: Select all
# Replace calls to $155978 by calls to r_pixel_len
   # almost all occurences are useless due to
   # previous modification, but in case of side-effets,
   # I keep them commented

##    prg.shunt(ee_jal(r_pixel_len) + '0000448c e0010624 00000000'
##              '2330c300 6402238e 80800a3c 40190300', 0x149da0, ret = 0x149dbc) # item dropped
##    prg.insert(ee_jal(r_pixel_len) + '******** ******** 2d906000', 0x14c240)
##    prg.insert(ee_jal(r_pixel_len) + '******** ******** 2d306000', 0x14c26c)

So basically, it seems it was just require to comment the lines to disable them and fix the bug.

Edit : By the way, is there a trick to get items drops during battles? I patched my french version, did 30 battles and still no drops. Is it that rare? Or maybe it's my emulator version? PCSX2 1.2.1 (but I'm just at the start of the game so maybe it's the reason).

Maybe it's because my save is hacked and the levels are too high (99). I'll try with a new save.

Edit 2 : Did 30 battles without cheats (started a new save) and same, no items drops at all. So I'll wait for your test to see if it's just me or if Tryphon didn't send the good fix.

Edit 3 : Okay, it seems the items drop is just pretty rare, at least in the begin. I tried with the japanese ISO and out of 20 battles, I just managed to get one. Maybe it become less rare later in the game. I'm still trying to drop one with the fixed .py to be sure it's okay.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:56 pm

Still no drops in the patched version after more than 100 battles, so let's wait until Goldenboy test the fixed .py to see if it's just me or if the actual fix is faulty.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Goldenboy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:20 pm

@Blaw-

Here's my experience with 0.8 patched version (the first SLPM you posted) and mine v.2d (the one i reverse engineered)

The ITEM DROP IS indeed PRETTY RARE, I'll report MY times more than battles:
The FIRST DROP happened around 10-15min of gamplay the second one about 1H&30MIN AFTER!!!!

PS: The hacked save is IRRELEVANT (in my second test for patched v.2d i played with hacked save)....one thing that come to mind is to CHECK your inventory..if it's an hacked save it may be full...try to make some space

I think to know why ITEM DROP IS PRETTY RARE....think about the limited space we have (by game design) in the inventory, THE ITEM DROP MUST BE VERY VERY RARE otherwise the inventory will be TOO MUCH SOON FULL. They added STORAGE in Eusis's home to mitigate this desgn choice...

SOME TIPS for item to DROP:
I placed the group out of PASEO City in the small square green area (start of the game) walking left-right NON STOP and item dropped (0.8 english and mine v.2d), for the second item to drop had to wait much much longer and change zone (out of Optano city).
Again only certain combination of monster DROP items so virtually you'll have to place group in specific area where that particular combination of monster SPAWN, the one i found is out of PASEO City.

TRY TO TEST MY VERSION or TRYPHON 0.8 PATCHED and report...if these versions work THAN we'll try to PATCH the french one.

Tonight i'll try to build a new ISO with the UPDATED "patchPSGEN2.py" and REPORT BACK...
Goldenboy
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Yeah, seems pretty rare. i would just want to see "one drop" to be sure the .py fix the problem ^^

By the way, I have some questions if you don't mind (as you seem to deal better than me with algoring and don't want to bother Tryphon just for that) :

1) You said in your first "changelog" : "added icons for tech" but the english already had some, no?

Or maybe Kyence never published an updated version.

Yeah, the french version lacks icons for tech and if I update the french version to fix the item drop bug, I would rather modify a few things and so add icons for Tech. Would you mind sharing your icons and explain how to add them in algoring?

2) Someone reported a few years ago (but it seems this report have been forgot) that using "Forma" (level 35) magic with Keinz crash the game. Does it occur in your english version? (I think it might be a line too long or something like that). I read again the whole french thread on this board and notice this old report.

3) " CORRECTED TECHNIQUEs DESCRIPTION TO DESCRIBE EXACTLY WHAT THEY DO(some are wrong also in japanese and for 1-2 techniques have same description)."

=> Can you share which ones were wrong in japanese?

4) "RESIZED RUDGER NAME TO FIT STATUS DISPLAY (GOOD when LEVEL is one digit, UGLY when two digits)."

=> I would be interested by that, as I suppose it also impact the french version?

5) "FIXED ECM Prompt menu."

=> What did you fix? To see if the french version would have a similar problem.

6) "COMPLETELY REWORKED "MTE Table"....THE DISAPPEARING EQUIPMENT BUG should be resolved..."

=> So this bug would be because of the MTE? The table would be too full?
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff