Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Re: Phantasy Star Generation:1 English translation project

Postby xrick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 pm

Well, Tryphon... Thank goodness I posted them in the forum at the time...
http://www.pscave.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3113&p=53576#p53576
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Novyal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:58 pm

Tryphon wrote:The font is DejaVu Sans Condensed Bold Italic, so it's already bold and italic

Silly me, I couldn't tell it was already in italic Can't you use a font with more width per letter? I think that would make the dark blue borders look better.

Tryphon wrote:And the chars are exactly the same width than japanese ones. I thought about make them smaller. I can give it a try.

Actually, I was refering to height, the distance between the borders (up and down) and the chars.

xrick wrote:For more than 10 years? Are you serious? It wasn't until the translation projects had begun that extraction hacking became more prominent and somehow successful.

So I'm to believe that no one in the world tried to hack the game since it was released? Until 2009/2010?
Colour me surprised.
My digital art website: http://digiartdigi.wix.com/artedigital
Novyal
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:09 pm

Do you have any proof that someone, somewhere, tried to hack the game before the time Tryphon just mentioned?
Because before that I've never found any kind of proof of that...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Same, I am in the romhacking world since 15 years and never heard of any hacking of those games before CUE started to release it's compressor/decompressor programs.

And it wouldn't be weird, I can list a lot of old games which haven't be hacked yet (often because of the lack of translator. Would be logicial that no one tried to hack the games before if there was no translator ready to translate them).

Here's the first time I heard about hacking of PSGEN 2 (2010), for example : http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg201759 and for PSGEN 1, I guess it was more or less before the english translation start.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:32 pm

That "being in the romhacking world" means you're a romhacker yourself?
If yes, wouldn't you be interested in trying again in hacking the game? Try to see if there really is stuff yet to unravel...
If no, don't you know someone who could have some level of interest in trying that feat?

I know I'm being insistent, just trying to exhaust all the possibilities that go on appearing...

Also... The world maps weren't exactly available as a whole, I guess?
I'd like to have a big-sized version of them (both PSg:1&2), but I guess that may be impossible...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:00 pm

I have those of PSg2 somewhere.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:38 pm

That's nice. And of PSg:1?
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Novyal » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:59 pm

Ok, then I'll change it to:
xrick, keep in mind that "Generations I" has been thoroughly hacked by the fans for almost 5 years, I'm almost sure that everything that can be found was already found.

xrick wrote:Do you have any proof that someone, somewhere, tried to hack the game before the time Tryphon just mentioned?

Of course I dont, do you have any proof that it wasn't hacked before then?
I'm guessing you don't.
I was speaking broadly. There's no way any of us can know for sure if anyone in the world attempted to hack the game before then.

Blaw- wrote:And it wouldn't be weird, I can list a lot of old games which haven't be hacked yet (often because of the lack of translator. Would be logicial that no one tried to hack the games before if there was no translator ready to translate them).

I get it, no one around here heard of this game being hacked before 2010.
However, you're only talking about hacking games in the West to translate them, I accept that no one in the West did it, but I talked about the possibility of anyone in the world having hacked it, a Japanese person wouldn't need a translator.

I won't insist, I just wanted to make my point clearer.
My digital art website: http://digiartdigi.wix.com/artedigital
Novyal
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:18 pm

Your point was quite clear but since no evidences of such having happened have been found, of course we can only count on what we know, which derives from the translation projects.
I dare say your belief that there may have been some hacking way before 2010 is as strong as mine that not all stuff hidden in the game files has been unraveled as of the present time.
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:20 pm

xrick wrote:That "being in the romhacking world" means you're a romhacker yourself?
If yes, wouldn't you be interested in trying again in hacking the game? Try to see if there really is stuff yet to unravel...
If no, don't you know someone who could have some level of interest in trying that feat?

I know I'm being insistent, just trying to exhaust all the possibilities that go on appearing...

Also... The world maps weren't exactly available as a whole, I guess?
I'd like to have a big-sized version of them (both PSg:1&2), but I guess that may be impossible...

I romhacked some roms back in the day but I'm more a translator than a romhacker ;)

Not to mention games on cd-roms games are often compressed/packed in archives and you usually need to know programming to be able to do something with them.

But yeah, I think everything has already be found about those games, as we even found some unused sprites on PSGEN2 if I remember right (Genesis sprites out of the original rom, which aren't used as the Genesis rom run with an emulator).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Regarding PSg:2, I'm inclined to believe so, since I've been paying more attention to PSg:1 in terms of material dumping.
But you don't anyone who may have some degree of interesting in trying his/her luck with PSg:1 again?

If possible, can you release those world maps of PSg:2? It can be in the other topic, since this one is about PSg:1...
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:59 am

SandyLandale wrote:Thank you for your patience.

Events left to check:

1. Getting to the Wise Dragon - COMPLETE!!!
2. Getting the Iron Claw - COMPLETE!!!
3. Buying some gas masks - COMPLETE!!!
4. Finding the Shield of Perseus - COMPLETE!!!
5. Meeting Master Tajim - COMPLETE!!!
6. Fighting Medusa - COMPLETE!!!
7. Ascending Abion Tower - COMPLETE!!!
8. Visiting Aukbar - COMPLETE!!!
9. Raiding Guaron Morgue
10. Going to the Ice Cave
11. Getting the Eclipse Torch
12. Scaling Baya Malay
13. Events at the Air Castle
14. Talking to every person in the world after La Shiec is dead
15. Getting to Dark Falz

...And then comes the beta test once the alpha test is done.

Nothing really of note so far. There's not gonna be much more text until we go to Aukbar.

Edit 1 - You know what we need after PS gen:1 and 2 are perfectly finalized? A retranslation of Phantasy Star IV with expanded character names, variable width fonts, text to match generation:1 and 2, and expanded menu text. It'd be so, so sweet. It'd require a crap-ton of hacking, but it would be sweet.

Edit 2 - The emulator crashed because I had disabled the FPS limit, and I have to start Abion Tower all over. Uuugh. I just wanna get this out of the way, there is zero text that I have to test here.

Edit 3 - Six more things in the whole game to do. I'm so excited.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:36 am

Are the menus better this way ?

Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:48 am

Aesthetically, so it seems.
And that "Myau1"... :D
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:42 am

Just a test for localizing something :)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff