Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Tryphon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:46 am

Another funny one, from the first game :

Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:56 am

Yes, I know they can suck in phonetic writing, but since there was no other spelling for the planets' names other than the "official" translations back in the day, which can be contraditing by themselves, I wanted to try believing in those... :?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:12 am

"Rutu" :lol:
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skull_monkey » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:26 am

Blaw- wrote:
skull_monkey wrote:Hi there, is anyone having problems with the game crashing? I'm playing it on a soft-modded PS2. It sometimes crashes after a battle, first screen (with rank letter etc) comes up, and then when it continues to the second screen where the character's XP is given out, it crashes. It just says "individual's experience", with no other information (text boxes for each character). The text on the screen also looks a bit odd - like not smooth. The victory theme music just plays forever with the screen stuck like that.

Unfortunately, some other peoples using a PS2 with a modchip also reported this. Maybe it come from an incompatibility of the game with the modchips (as the few people who reported crashs all have a modchip on their PS2).

Try using FreeMCBoot? It's a thing which doesn't require any modchip to play burned games. I used one program included in it (uLauncher) to play the whole game from an USB Key and never got any crashs.

That is pretty much how I'm running the game (hence soft-modded as opposed to hard-modded with a modchip) I edited the ISO of the game to make it into a DVD format with UDF filesystem and applied the ESR patch that allows games to be run using FreeMCBoot. (basically following the instructions here http://theisozone.com/tutorials/ps2/gen ... -with-esr/)

Did you apply the same patch to the copy you were running from USB? What were your steps exactly?
skull_monkey
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby mziab » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:08 am

Hello guys! Just registered to thank you for releasing the patch, which is doubly cool since PS2 translations are so few and far between. Kudos to you for all your hard work! I've only played the game briefly so far, but I like what I see :)

Spotted one minor misspelling in Paseo, so I took a picture:
http://wstaw.org/m/2015/10/24/IMG_20151023_212127.jpg ("piece of mind" should be "peace of mind")

skull_monkey: You might want to look into Open PS2 Loader, which lets you launch games off an USB stick or a Samba network share. Your problem probably stems from the CD->DVD conversion, which is unneeded with OPL. This is how I'm playing the game on my soft-modded PS2, no problems so far. The only hiccup was that I had to convert the ISO from Mode 2/2352 to Mode 1/2048. Hope this helps.
mziab
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Reiska » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Holy crap, the Yellow Dam fights are nasty. Can't even get D-Wand off half the time before Anne just explodes in the face of massive multitarget damage (let alone other party members).

Possible glitch report: the palettes of the townspeople on Dezoris are really wacky when they move. I haven't seen this part of the game on the Japanese version, though, so I can't verify it's actually a patch thing.
Reiska
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby UniqueUserName » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:57 pm

mziab wrote:Hello guys! Just registered to thank you for releasing the patch, which is doubly cool since PS2 translations are so few and far between. Kudos to you for all your hard work! I've only played the game briefly so far, but I like what I see

Spotted one minor misspelling in Paseo, so I took a picture:
http://wstaw.org/m/2015/10/24/IMG_20151023_212127.jpg ("piece of mind" should be "peace of mind")

skull_monkey: You might want to look into Open PS2 Loader, which lets you launch games off an USB stick or a Samba network share. Your problem probably stems from the CD->DVD conversion, which is unneeded with OPL. This is how I'm playing the game on my soft-modded PS2, no problems so far. The only hiccup was that I had to convert the ISO from Mode 2/2352 to Mode 1/2048. Hope this helps.

I made it as far as Space Ark Noah last night but didn't finish leveling for the final battle yet. The only error I found throughout the whole game was the one skullmonkey reported. My setup is softmodded FHDB running OPL with internal HDD on 50001 fatty PS2 utilizing virtual memory cards. I had five occurrences of the freezing he described in the same exact way. Only one of the times was when I wasn't using the AUTO feature. I was ready to reformat the HDD thinking it was a problem on my end until I saw SM's post varifying I wasn't alone. I did not do any DVD converting or anything like he did and still have the problem. If your setup is similar to mine would you mind trying to recreate the glitch? They were all near the town of Zema and mostly using the auto feature. It happens during the battle results screens.

-------------------------------------------

Anyone know why Eusis keeps asking "How are we going to reach Planet Dezoris?" while he is on Dezoris? lmao for like an hour straight anytime I hit the consult button he would say it. I literally laughed out loud the first time. :D
(+[__]·:·) _____ [==_═══:]
_ P S P _________ P S 2 _
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Reiska » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I noticed that too. XD

How in the heck do you get the Strength Potion or whatever? I can't get the guy in Aukbar to give me the item I have to give to the guy in Piata.
Reiska
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby UniqueUserName » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:55 pm

Reiska wrote:I noticed that too. XD

How in the heck do you get the Strength Potion or whatever? I can't get the guy in Aukbar to give me the item I have to give to the guy in Piata.

I never figured it out. Although, rethinking the situation, there was a Dezorian that asked me a yes or no question, that I sped through with a yes. In my defense, it was almost 3am and I thought I could make it to the end. I got Eusis to level 30 on the Ark and passed out controller in lap lol. He's at 40 right now but I'm not sure how high I have to go to get the best techniques.
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby DarkForce1376 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:40 pm

Hello New Here great job to all who work on the translation I think this may be a bug no sure but After a random battle the game frezzes at the exp screen it seems to happen randomly I am using ps2 hardware with FMB And Esr Hope that this is help ful if its not a bug can anyone post a way to fix it thanks For All Of Your Hard Work
DarkForce1376
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby mziab » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:48 pm

UniqueUserName wrote:I made it as far as Space Ark Noah last night but didn't finish leveling for the final battle yet. The only error I found throughout the whole game was the one skullmonkey reported. My setup is softmodded FHDB running OPL with internal HDD on 50001 fatty PS2 utilizing virtual memory cards. I had five occurrences of the freezing he described in the same exact way. Only one of the times was when I wasn't using the AUTO feature. I was ready to reformat the HDD thinking it was a problem on my end until I saw SM's post varifying I wasn't alone. I did not do any DVD converting or anything like he did and still have the problem. If your setup is similar to mine would you mind trying to recreate the glitch? They were all near the town of Zema and mostly using the auto feature. It happens during the battle results screens.

For the record, I'm playing from an SMB share on a PS2 slim 70003, which may make a difference for some games. Anyway, I'll be sure to report if anything comes up.
mziab
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby UniqueUserName » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:55 pm

DarkForce1376 wrote:Hello New Here great job to all who work on the translation I think this may be a bug no sure but After a random battle the game frezzes at the exp screen it seems to happen randomly I am using ps2 hardware with FMB And Esr Hope that this is help ful if its not a bug can anyone post a way to fix it thanks For All Of Your Hard Work

Did it happen while using the AUTO feature of play? ... and freeze on the words "INDIVIDUAL'S EXPERIENCE"? It stopped freezing for me when I stopped using auto. Hope that helps.
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby DarkForce1376 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Yes I Though It Might Be AB To So I Tried It With Out It Looked Like It Worked And Then Did It Again That's When I decided To Post Thanks Tring To Help I reaily Want To Play This Game But I Keep Having To Start From My Last Save
DarkForce1376
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby UniqueUserName » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:21 pm

mziab posted about a hiccup that was fixed with a mode change to the iso... If you scroll up like ten posts... Wish I could be of more help but mine hasn't done it since the town of Zema when I stopped using auto. Someone on here will hopefully post better news for you. Keep in mind it is in beta. Stay tuned.
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby mziab » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:53 pm

To clarify, OPL won't start any iso at all unless it's MODE1/2048. The iso available here was in another mode, so I had no choice but to convert. This has no bearing on the crash at all or so it seems for now.
mziab
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff