Side scrolling game

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Side scrolling game

Postby Edless » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:25 am

Hey everyone, does anybody know about a program to make plateform games?

As a matter of fact, using castlevania sprites, we could easily make a Rune out of Soma's moves and even if it is for one short stage it'd be nice to have a phantasy star platform game.

Well, have a good day.
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Black Waltz 0 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:50 pm

I'd play a Rune-blowing-shit-up game. 8)

Anybody know how to mod a Castlevania game?
Check out my PS fanfics here!
The Phantasy Star fandom's resident yaoi manaic...
Black Waltz 0
Scorpius
Scorpius

Location: On a rocket hurtling through space at the speed of light.

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:23 am

Well, I don't know about modding, but I do know of a few game making programs like Games Factory. It isn't really fancy, but you can make a good platformer if you put the time into it.

Also, I think it would be nice if someone made a 2.D Symphony of the Night styled sprite of Nei. She would sort of be a feminine version of Wolverine, because she has claws like him sort of.

But then again, Symphony of the Night style, might be a bit of work, why not try and make a Apprentice of the Force style? Here is the style I mean.

ImageImage
ImageImage

As you can see, the Apprentice of the Force style, is a nice size, and is simple to make, if you're willing to make the necessary frames and animations.

But I have a question, do you think I'm getting ahead of myself? :? For being a new guy here I mean.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edless » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:12 pm

for Nei sprites we could think of Camilla's sprite

here in Dracula X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRFw2x8TJ_o

we even have a 3D remake there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao0blpol-cg

Her moves and sprites are easily found on the web
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:04 pm

That idea did pop into mind a few times, but I'm no real sprite customization guy. I'm just good at recoloring, and maybe adding one or two details, like say adding a cape or making elf or numan ears. I'm not good at making custom poses and animations sadly. :(

But, if someone could make the animations, I would greatly appreciate it. :D And indeed, those sprites are just about everywhere, but here is one.

As you can see, the sprite to customize, would indeed do the job nicely, but there are no running, or proper jumping animations. Or standing and attacking sprites. Mostly this would be used as a base, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to recolor all of the animations.

In some picture programs, like the one I use, I can easily recolor all of them, and e-mail it to someone with great sprite making skills. Any volunteers?

[EDIT]

*FACEPALM* I forgot the vgmuseum doesn't like hotlinking. But I fixed it. I hope.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edless » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:48 pm

If I had the talent, I'd do something like this

... in a real game.

But as a matter of fact, we could do a castlevania like phantasy star with many ennemies from phantasy star.
(Well, we would have plenty of laser shooter guys but it could be fun).

I mean look at this, the animation is already done, just adding a laser and it's ready to use

and with this guy, you move the arm a little bit and shoot a laser from it and here you go.

Moreover, it'd be quite unique for such a game. The sci-fi-fantasy is under exploited whereas the medieval and gothic genre are overwhelmed by castlevania games (officials and fan games).

I downloaded Game maker trial and it doesn't look hard to use, but if there is someone good with game maker here, I'd be happy to focus on the sprites and animations (and try to create backgrounds.)
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:07 pm

Edless wrote:If I had the talent, I'd do something like this

... in a real game.

Whoamama! Nice work. Even if that's not a game, but real nice idea/design.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:40 pm

Nitpick: Deban defends against physical attacks. Something like a laser would be an energy attack that Barrier would guard against. :)

...Not to mention Rune doesn't even know Deban, but hey, it's a fan game.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Edless » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:17 am

Yeah I know, I was thinking the same when I posted it but for now since I don't have a proper model to use, I went with Rune.

For a fan game there aren't many other possibilities. I wouldn't be able to draw a Gryz or the animation of a Chaz but with Rune being a magician, we'd just have to make him extend his arm and shooooo, here comes a defense magic, a fire spell or an atomic Legeon on all the screen.

Then, it'd be convenient enought as we'd be able to take ennemies from PSI, II or IV without making it weird.

EDIT

Well and here is another one I just made.

To those who know well the serie you'll be able to recognize... well I'll let you guess.

EDIT

I tried some effects for Wren too.

looking at it from afar gives a different impression than when your nose is stuck on the screen.
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:59 pm

Those are some neat pics! :D Any possible Nei ones? :wink:
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Missagh » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:22 am

Edless, I like this concept a lot, shame that those pics are edits and not in game screenshots.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Edless » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Thanks for your answers.

To Megaman - For Nei, I have the documentation, I can do it (I have one in pre-production mode actually) ;)

And yeah I know it'd be great in a game. Maybe some pics above couldn't make it into a game in that state. (The distortion of the laser in Rune pics and the dust for instance).
But the following pics could be ingame screens as they are done with pixels only extracted from genesis games (meaning we could have had that on genesis 15 years ago hahaha.)

In a word, making one guy with a customised back ground is half a day of work. (but it is more simple when you've made him once since you already have the colors and the art style)

Each ennemy is like half an hour of work.

I've already worked on Rune's runing animation, almost finished but need to be perfected.
I could do a jumping Rune in a day, let's count a day for each moves (crouching, turning, attack).
There it is, we have our game if someone knows how to use game maker.

Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:33 pm

You certainly are talented! It look so official! Can't wait to see the whole sheets, or animated gifs if you can make them gifs.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Missagh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:54 pm

These screens inspires me to possibly gather around a few fans and collaborate to make a game like this.

I need to think in silence for a few days...
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby NickyP » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:06 pm

I dunno Missagh. I've headed quite a few collab projects myself, and they all turn out the same; Unless there's absolute, full cooperation, it goes no where fast. It ends up being one guy doing all the work and 2-3 more helping every now and then.

Better off doing it on your own, really. For platforming games, Game Maker is a more viable solution (by viable I mean, open-ended and not restricting), but the engine I always code with, OpenBOR, can do so as well. I personally just never really learned how. :P
NickyP
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Next

Return to Fan stuff