Offline play...

Discussions about Phantasy Star Universe

Offline play...

Postby skymandr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:40 am

So, I've just finished of Magashi and I know there isn't much left of the game, but frankly I don't enjoy the game play at all. The missions are all extremely similar and mindless - not to mention the free missions! -, the story is unengaging and very cliché, and Ethan is a worse brat than Chaz.
Now, I didn't particularly like PSO, but at least there the story was kind of interesting, even the free missions felt meaningful. I've tried Nanoblasting and character designing in Extra mode, and I've concluded that unless something spectacular happens I don't really feel like finishing the game [1].

Is there any reason why I should not just uninstall it, as opposed to playing it to the finish?

------
[1]: This is highly unusual for me. I'm quite obsessive about finishing books and games I've picked up. Sbandoning them in media res normally feels very awkward. It feels like highly improper behaviour - plain wrong...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Neo48 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:43 pm

PSU really caters to PSO fans. They took what worked in PSO and amped it up in PSU. I wouldn't expect many people who didn't like PSO to enjoy PSU, hehe.

Yeah, I can agree that Episode 1 was a little cliche'. If its any consolation, the stories of Episode 2 and 3 seem to be far better. There are much better plot ideas (I personaly think that anyway).

So, you fought and beat Magashi...what chapter are you on? I'll say this, you technically fight him more than once....

If you are finished, then unless you plan on playing online you may as well Uninstal it. Makes room for more stuff, hehe.
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby suoturska » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:17 pm

Yeah, I'll second that the story does get a lot better in Episode 2, although the presentation takes a nosedive, since they just took the online story missions of PSU basic and dumped them pretty much unchanged into AotI to act as the Story Mode. So there's no real cutscenes, instead the characters just stand there sprouting speech bubbles. There is the occasional short FMV showing some of the more dramatic happenings in the story, though.
suoturska
Locusta
Locusta

Postby skymandr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:04 pm

I fought him the first time around, outside Landeel on Moatoob. Chapter 10ish? I know there isn't much left but I get the unmistakable "Why bother?" feeling when I think about continuing...

Cutscenes aside, I must say that I preferred PSO...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 pm

There are 12 chapters. You've come this far. I'd say to pursue it to the end. :)
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby skymandr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:26 am

But it's such a mindless tedium... >_< Besides, I'm more than a little afraid that I will feel compelled to play Illuminus if I finish it...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Neo48 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:12 pm

No you wont be. Haha. The stories are quite different, despite the fact that they consist of the same characters. (Except you play as your own character, not Ethan).
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:35 pm

How is it mindless tedium with the good battle system? :/ Also, there's another vehicle mini-game in the next chapter!

Episode 1 is pretty self-contained. But hey, if you'd feel compelled to play more, that'd be a sign that you actually like it. :P
BenoitRen

Postby skymandr » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:05 pm

BenoitRen wrote:How is it mindless tedium with the good battle system? :/ Also, there's another vehicle mini-game in the next chapter!

Ok, I guess I'll give it a shot. It's better than sending job applications after all...

BenoitRen wrote:Episode 1 is pretty self-contained. But hey, if you'd feel compelled to play more, that'd be a sign that you actually like it. :P

Oh, how I wish that analysis of my brain's intricate inner workings held more water than a sieve in the Sahara...
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:50 pm

Wait, if you just saw Tyler destroying Magashi, then you just completed chapter 9. The next chapter does also have a vehicle mini-game, though. Plus great area music! However, beware of those Dambarta-spewing centaur monsters!
BenoitRen

Postby darkforce » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 pm

Last month I beat PSU Illuminus (ep. 2) and it was a little bit of a let down. It ends as a cliffhanger and leaves a lot open including the fate of the Casts. The only way to play out ep. 3 is online.

I have to admit I prefered PSU over the expansion. The dialogue boxes alone in Illuminus are enough to kill you. The only cool thing that stuck out for me was porting my 'Extra Mode' character from PSU to Illuminus. He was already level 70, and he walked through almost unscathed.

Hopefully they will do another PSU game.
darkforce
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby skymandr » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm

Finished PSU two weeks ago or so.
Final verdict: Too repetitive and (much!) too simple.
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 pm

I was remembering today how chapter 10 doesn't have a vehicle mini-game at all. I confused it with chapter 7. :(

darkforce, why are you asking for another PSU game when you apparently yet have to play Episode 3? Or is it impossible to play online for you?
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:51 am

Finished PSU two weeks ago or so.
Final verdict: Too repetitive and (much!) too simple.

Solo Seed Awakened S2....not simple.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby darkforce » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:22 am

BenoitRen wrote:I was remembering today how chapter 10 doesn't have a vehicle mini-game at all. I confused it with chapter 7. :(

darkforce, why are you asking for another PSU game when you apparently yet have to play Episode 3? Or is it impossible to play online for you?

Not enough time to play online and no internet on the Playstation II. So anything that lets me play story mode is good. I have PSO 1-2 coming in the mail and I need to order PSO CARD. I am lucky I get to play at all between my art career, writing and teaching at the college level.
darkforce
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Next

Return to Phantasy Star Universe