Phantasy Star IV Betas Found

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Phantasy Star IV Betas Found

Postby Miles McCloud » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 am

Greetings all,

Thought I'd visit in and share the news with you! A fellow by the name of "drx" has recently dumped about 1000 Sega developmental betas onto the internet, and among them were five different versions of Phantasy Star IV!

Unfortunately, it seems that they are from too late in development to actually show anything that wouldn't have made it into the Japanese final. However, they do shed quite a lot of light on the translation process!

For example, the earliest beta (May 30th) uses the words "winner" and "loser" in the opening montage, whereas by the August 15th beta they had replaced them with the far more appropriate "Victor" and "vanguished." Note the capitalization, which makes it look like the male name "Victor" rather than the common noun. They fix this typo by the October 27th version.

Also, the first two versions still use the Japanese "Rudy" rather than "Chaz", who appears for the first time in the August 15th version.

I haven't had a chance to play through much more than the the opening sequence with the principal in the various versions, but the early versions still contain a lot of awkward word and phrase choices (for example, Alys, or "Ryre" in the May 30th version, tells the principal to "get down to brass tacks", but in the final, she says "Let's get down to business")

I'm not sure if the entire game is translated in the earliest or even latest betas, hopefully someone with more time than I have available right to try and play through some of these.

Anyway, you can get the beta roms from the torrent link at this site...

http://www.hidden-palace.org/

Or in a slightly more manageable format from this site:

http://tomsonic.dyndns.org:90/sonicprotos/

Perhaps PSCave wouldn't mind hosting them as well?
Miles McCloud
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 pm

It's Miles McCloud! He's alive! :O

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I've uploaded the betas (11.8 MB) for everyone's enjoyment.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby H Hog » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:59 pm

Ahahahaha, I fail at life for not seeing this topic when I posted mine in "News". XD
Sorry for that. =P
I deleted it now, but for posterity, here's the content:

Title: "Phantasy Star IV Proto's found, also other Sega games"
H Hog wrote:Just figured I'd mention this with the PS crowd, since I wasn't sure you all knew about it yet.
A completely AWESOME and COOL guy named drx has paid through the nose to obtain, then worked his ass off to compile a disc PACKED full of Sega prototypes from around 1995 (the disc, not neccesarily all of the games), with stuff ranging from SMS and Game Gear games, to Genesis, 32X, Saturn... heck, even the freaking PICO.
Now for the most part, this has spread like wild throughout the Sonic community, due to crazy amounts of knowledge gained of the developmental process of some of their (and my) favourite games, but Sonic games weren't all that was on there!

You see, among this extreme motherload are 5 prototypes of differing developmental stages of Phantasy Star IV, too.
Already, screenshots with incredible engrish phrases are showing up, including a particularly hilarious version of the "Chaz argues with Rune" segment which has Chaz calling Rune a "....terd!".

Now, I imagine you're going to want to know where to obtain this fantastic bunch of OMG ROMHZ.
Look no further, and get the torrent at http://www.hidden-palace.org !
Find out about the Land Master and Ice Decker! Fight Lashiec! And more!

Oh, and if you're too eager to find out what everyone's prototype names were before downloading the proto's, here's the list:
Chaz: Rudy
Alys: Ryre
Rune: Rein
Rika: Fal
Gryz: Pike
Demi: Rena
Wren: Forn
Kyra: Sela (at least once referred to in the TALK option as "Shesu" too, though she introduces herself as "Sela".)
Hahn and Raja remain the same, and I don't know about Seth.

Strong or weak, all that matters to me is whether or not you're flammable.
H Hog
Locusta
Locusta

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Thanks, H Hog! I didn't know people had looked closer at the PSIV prototypes yet.

Screenshot highlights:

Looks like at first they had translated "newman" correctly:

They got the Eight Stroke stuff even more wrong before:

Rocky was Locky! XD

So first it was Res, not Gires:

What the...?

BenoitRen

Postby janejana » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:11 pm

...oh wow, those screenshots are amazing.

:shock: :lol:
janejana
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 pm

I was playing PSIV until everyone died in Tonoe's basement... I should have been more careful.

But look at the gem I found while curing Chaz/Rudy of poison!

BenoitRen

Postby Miles McCloud » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:38 am

Kudos to those that are sharing the screen shots, it certainly gives me motivation to play through the game again!
Miles McCloud
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Lord Khyron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:29 am

Haha.. Addiction recovered!

I knew that they were just STONED in whatever city it was..

THis proves it! Return the addiction, no STONEDAGE!
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby H Hog » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:19 pm

If only there were easy "antidotes" to addictions, life would be much easier :P

.....Then again, I guess at that point people would be much more prone to starting said addiction in the first place...
People'd get addicted to addictions, then get addicted to the antidote for curing the addictions. Confusing. XD

Gah, I went all serious there, all of a sudden.
Instead, have a funny Prototype Shining Force II quote.
H Hog
Locusta
Locusta

Postby janejana » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:25 am

BenoitRen wrote:I was playing PSIV until everyone died in Tonoe's basement... I should have been more careful.

But look at the gem I found while curing Chaz/Rudy of poison!

this is win. <3

more random pics, like this now-awkward exchange in the Motavia Academy basement:

i can't figure out what Chaz/Rudy is trying to say, here. and 'don't be sassy!!' makes me giggle.

and now for something much creepier.

D:
janejana
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Lord Khyron » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:30 am

MM.. ZIo had some fun!
~Ima Ga Sono Toki Da!"
~Imagination and memory are the same thing which for diverse considerations have diverse names~
Lord Khyron
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Edless » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:26 am

Woo

That last one with the little boy is really creepy.

When I see that, it feels so unrealistic since nowadays, you can have some fans translating a manga or an anime or others in one night with a rather good translation.

Back then, it was definitely another era.
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:08 pm

It's not necessarily badly translated. It's probably just awkwardly worded. The PS Pages' PSIV script doesn't have those kids' lines, though, so I can't check what the final game says.
BenoitRen

Postby H Hog » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:18 pm

There seem to be more images at the link I gave before. Seth's name is Siam (as sort-of expected, I guess), and the Hydrofoil is apparently the awkwardly named "Flow Mover".
And more! =o

H Hog
Locusta
Locusta

Postby thriwren » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:27 pm

BenoitRen wrote:It's not necessarily badly translated. It's probably just awkwardly worded. The PS Pages' PSIV script doesn't have those kids' lines, though, so I can't check what the final game says.
If I remember correctly, the boy say something to the effect of: " I seen a man dressed in black".

Also, the boy is ussing a big word for his age ( I am assuming that the kid is under 10, probably closer to 5.)
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Next

Return to Phantasy Star