What games are you playing at the moment?

The place to chat round the fire, share a tale, and just about anything else you'd like to do

Re: What games are you playing at the moment?

Postby Wing-0 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 am

I went back to Valkyria Chronicles 2 in order to finish the missions I skipped during the course of the story and the extra missions that started appearing after finishing the last boss. I've had a good deal of fun with that particular game.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Zucca » Tue May 03, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm playing this: http://www.nyancatfly.com
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Mon May 09, 2011 1:50 pm

A friend lended me Lost Kingdoms (GameCube), which I just tried. I already knew that it uses cards, but the game is still weird.

You play as a princess that comes into possession of a Runestone, which gives her the power to use cards to fight. There are three types:
  • sword, which summons a monster right on top of you to execute a melee attack in front of you before disappearing again
  • summon, which is like a regular Final Fantasy monster summon that unleashes a powerful attack
  • independent, which summons a monster on the field that attacks monsters on its own
You have a deck of cards to use, four of which are available at a time. Summon and independent cards are one-use only, while sword cards can be used more than once.

The princess herself can't fight. All she can do besides using cards is evade monster attacks and pick up gems that monsters loose when attacked.

I got up to the first boss fight, and ran out of cards somehow. All that was left to do was suicide. When it was over, I was back on the world map, and had to attempt the entire mission again. I quit the game instead, and will read the manual before I try it again.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Wing-0 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:20 am

Been playing Mass Effect 2 on my second playthrough with a male Shepard. I went and started romancing (if it can even be called that) Jack, the overly violent girl with no shirt and lots of tattoos all over her. That's a tsundere, all right...

I had a good bag of laughs last night.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby LegoMuskCat » Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 am

Playin' Dragon Quest V! =D I love it~
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri May 27, 2011 10:59 am

Dreamer, are you copying me, or something? I'm also playing it! :D I'm about to get married. I think I'm going to pick Nera.
BenoitRen

Postby LegoMuskCat » Fri May 27, 2011 11:42 am

BenoitRen wrote:Dreamer, are you copying me, or something? I'm also playing it! I'm about to get married. I think I'm going to pick Nera.
Dude, awesome coincidence! I was gonna pick Nera, too. >.> She's my favorite along the girls. However! I was gonna marry all three ladies and have a save file for each, and see how it goes. I didn't care for Bianca before because of her accent, but it's strange since I don't mind it when she's a kid. And Debora basically treats you like her manslave/servant, which I don't really care for, but I'll give her a shot regardless.

I got my copy awhile ago and attempted playing it, but stopped when I got to the third generation. I don't care for the game past that point, but this time I will definitely make the attempt to finish it. I've been meaning to beat the remake at least once. >.<

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention, but since I restarted I'm currently at the end of the first generation. I always get so sad at that part. =(
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Fri May 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Yeah, Debora is a bitch, so it's between Bianca and Nera.

Bianca is supposedly the canon choice, but she doesn't make much of an impression on me. Sure, she joins your party, but she isn't that good of a party member. And her supposed 'feelings' for the hero seem to come out of nowhere.

Nera is said to be a very nice girl, but she doesn't seem to care much for the hero, unfortunately.

I'm wondering if it even matters who the hero marries.
BenoitRen

Postby LegoMuskCat » Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Bianca's the tomboy of the three, which may appeal to some, but meh. She seems more surprised than anything else if you pick her. When it comes to Nera, she's the "ideal" wife. I thought she loved the hero enough. Plus, the two seem to get on better than he does with Debora or Bianca. When you first meet her, there's at least some chemistry between the two. =P But with Bianca? It's just like seeing an old friend. Childhood friend. Whatever. I don't care for it, honestly, and beyond that she is rather boring.

In the original for the SNES. I picked Bianca for the heck of it, even if I liked Nera better. In that version, you're kinda pressured into marrying Bianca for a few reasons (Nera has a painful level 10 cap to start (it's lifted later), Bianca later becomes an abused barmaid or something silly like that and remains single, plus Nera/Flora's love interest is all heartbroken if you pick her instead of Bianca). Thankfully, in the remake this isn't the issue and Bianca is treated better over, and she actually moves on with her life.

I'm wondering if it even matters who the hero marries.
It doesn't. You get money and some other things if you marry Debora/Nera, and if you marry Bianca, you get some special scene back at the town where you deal with her (the name currently eludes me).
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:27 am

Back to playing games a bit... I gave Peace Walker a good go today. I'm still unlocking extra missions, which is nice. Also, I need to raise my level with some weapons to take on a special version of the final boss, the Peace Walker. Think of a quadruped nuclear missile launching platform with antipersonnel weaponry. Awesome fight during the story more, even more formidable during the extra missions.

I also played Nightshade for the PS2. One of my favorite games. I have always liked the Shinobi franchise, and this odd as hell entry with a female ninja is one of the most enjoyable games in the series. I resumed my gameplay on stage 3 and got to stage 5.

Probably some Metal Gear Solid 4 is in order or maybe Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2... I'll decide it later.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 pm

I didn't let it affect my choice, but if there's one trope I dislike in these situations, it's the childhood friend. It doesn't make sense to me.

Anyway, I married Nera. She then joined my party. I like it a lot that instead of staying home, your wife joins you on your quest. Her stats are decent, and she can be levelled up. Except for her strength stat, that is. But she more than makes up for it with her useful support spells.

I've arrived in Gotha. Nera left my party. :( Also, I'm being forced to become king when the Zenithian Armour hasn't even been located yet.
BenoitRen

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Sat May 28, 2011 8:19 pm

Star Ocean 4. Got 70% of trophies. W00t.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Sun May 29, 2011 9:27 am

Based on posts here, it seems that gaming nowdays is all about trophies and bonuses you get from them.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby carlsojos » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Zucca wrote:Based on posts here, it seems that gaming nowdays is all about trophies and bonuses you get from them.

I do concur that this is now a valid trend. The goal seems to be to provide the player with a sense of achievement when playing a game where it is possible for them to otherwise find no satisfaction from it. Not all games really need achievements, but both internet sites and consoles seem to be pushing the trend to get more mileage from the games they offer.

Oh, by the way, playing "Stellar Trader", trying to get the ending for the military group- I just don't seem to make as much money with them, so it's taken a bit longer to get a large-type ship.
carlsojos
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Semix » Tue May 31, 2011 10:10 am

Been playing some red dead redemption while I borrow it from a friend.
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion