Phantasy Star Online 2 presentation and gameplay video

Phantasy Star Online discussions only

Phantasy Star Online 2 presentation and gameplay video

Postby Wing-0 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Here it is...

http://www.segabits.com/?p=11444

Excuse me while I go for a mop to clean all my saliva on the floor...

Oh, there are screens as well!! Scroll near the bottom!
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Re: Phantasy Star Online 2 presentation and gameplay video

Postby Dr_Odin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:18 am

Very cool! Hoping for a better quality vid coming.

Some of the screens looked nice too. I hope they will improve the gameplay drastically and not make it a copy of PSO with some minor addons.
"Cannabis forgivness to the merciful mercy of Rune's Thrayness!" - Dr_Odin's preach in the shoutbox.
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Neo48 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:16 am

This....is.....AWESOME :o :o :o :o
PSO (GC) - NEO: HUcast LV 176
PSOBB Schthack (PC) - Redrian: HUcast LV 25
PSU (PC) - Neo: Male Cast Acrofighter LV 161 R.I.P.
PS0 (DS) - Neon: HUcaseal LV 82
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby LegoMuskCat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 am

This looks soooo good. :D I'm hyped to play it, but throughout the vid I was looking hard for any casts (didn't notice any though...). Checked the screenies too and there wasn't anything. :( Unless I simply overlooked 'em. Lots of 'mars and 'marls, even a 'newearl in the mix for the footage, but nothing that goes CLANK CLANK CLANK. I need more CLANK in my gameplay, y'know. :3

One thing I will say is that this is much better looking than I expected it to be, but I don't think it will be without its share of problems in the long run.
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 am

The gameplay seems similar to Phantasy Star Portable 2 with several improvements. Here I am hoping for a PS3 release.

Oh, the HUnewearl is currently gracing my PS3's background. Yay!!!
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:30 am

I agree, it looks very good. It looks like Sakai also made the effort to have the characters' outfit blend together, unlike Phantasy Star Universe's.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

New details for PSO2

Postby Neo48 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:45 pm

Okay, watching the video 100 times I was able to pull away and find some other data.

-Jumping is finally arriving in PSO2. If you see in the video, a Ranger jumps up onto the crashed spacecraft. I am guessing this would provide a safe sniping point if the Hunters keep the crowds occupied.

-Randomized dungeons are still going to be the staple.

-Third Person shooter camera. I'm not sure how this would affect the gameplay. I'm not sure if this means Rangers will be without any auto-targeting system like in PSO. What you can see is that they hold their gun on their back. It reminded me a lot of Resident Evil actually. Perhaps this is merely an evolution of the game seeing as how so many shooters these days go for 3rd person views. The characters can move while in this view, unlike the FPS cross hairs in PSU.

-Weather effects are now going to be seen in the game. Whether this will affect gameplay is currently unknown. However, there is a screenshot with rain in the same forest area showcased in the video. Perhaps this will be part of the random dungeon creation.

-Dodging/Rolling/Sidestepping: So far it looks like this will also be present in the game. It is good to see that PSO will be catching up with the times by more action in their actionRPG.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 am

Yes, the improvements are looking solid for this new game. The shooting method in this game is like a mix between what is available in the Phantasy Star Universe games and 3rd person shooters. The jumping ability is interesting because it could open new methods for planning and attacking as a team.

I'm SO hoping for a PS3 release to enjoy alongside the PC players. I'd say XBox too, but I'm not too keen on paying Microsoft to play a different publisher's games. I hope they get it too, but I won't touch that version.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:29 pm

Given that it's going to originally be a Windows PC game, an Xbox 360 port will likely be superior to a PS3 port...

Anyway, a board member of another board posted some interesting thoughts regarding the online Phantasy Stars' gameplay:
PSO's "limited movement and fighting options" is what gave the game its gravity and (as Tim likes to call it) "sticky friction" in terms of combat and strategy. Enemies moved at their slow pace, never stopping, until you came and hit them, which would make them flinch or sent them recoiling backwards a few paces. Likewise, the player could only move so fast, which they would trade in exchange for attacking. The gameplay was very delicately balanced around controlling the flow of enemies and disrupting their attacks, and each of your attacks were vastly more important because of the decision you had to make between using a quick attack that would flinch the enemy or a hard attack that would flinch the enemy and send them backwards but at the expense of slow startup and finishing time. Each class when played solo worked with this flow and when players played together, it was a beautiful symphony of cooperation.

Then in PSU/P, they tossed this all out the window and instead made all the players able to run around like mad, with every attack option being very mobile and huge in range with no consequence. Great swords had no difference to normal swords in terms of risk/reward because each of them swung around at high speeds plus the importance of weapons were further negated by the addition of Photon Arts which were just huge acrobatic attacks that would send enemies around you flying across the screen. Gunners were changed also so that they could shoot while running around, and they also shoved in a first person mode so you could shoot enemies that were flying around - which they used as an excuse to give every flying boss hugely irritating segments of them flying around forever and about 1 second of them being on the ground so that anyone without a gun could get one hit in before it went flying off again. Now this would be fine and dandy if the enemies were updated and changed around to counteract your array of skill, but instead of doing that, they kept them the same but took way their ability to flinch or get pushed back unless you were using a Photon Art.

Anyway, what all this mobile options and eliminating of risk/reward of every weapon did was that it made every melee completely homogenous/meaningless - you just rushed in, mashed photon arts if you were ever surrounded, and kill-a-thoned everything you saw. Every encounter had no gravity as enemies didn't flinch anymore unless you photon art-ed them, and made every battle really flimsy and non memorable. It really didn't help either that the initial PSU enemies were skin swaps of exactly 4 different enemy types and 3 bosses. PSU > P fixed some of the things around and got away with a lot of other really bad decisions (like initially guns used PP that you could only recharge by either waiting or using recovery items, meaning if you were gunning you'd have to carry around 12 guns because you'd run out of bullets in 1 minute and even then you were shit out of luck after using your expensive recovery items), but all the changes did was address how badly designed the battle system was without bothering to overhaul it all entirely.

Now, this would be fine and dandy with me for the most part if they went from PSU to PSP to PSO2 because I could've shrugged it off as no one from the original team is around or knows what they're doing but, BUT, the thing that bothers me the most is that inbetween Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2, they made a DS prequel called Phantasy Star 0 which basically brought back every mechanic from PSO and fit it into a DS game. This game was actually good and addressed issues that the original PSO format had, such as giving each individual player their own drops that only they can see so that they don't have to fight over goods, and on top of that, they brought over some of these changes into Phantasy Star Portable 2. So here they have a game where the team making it knows what they're doing and does it well, but they shrug it off in favour of something that doesn't play as well but has sold better, which they assume means that's what the public wants. So I guess what I'm offended at most is that they not only could have made a proper PSO2 because there's obviously people around that can, but instead they're making what looks like to be a successor to PSU in terms of gameplay but skinning it as PSO because they've done everything they can to run PSU/Portable into the ground and now want to spit on the original I suppose.
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

There is nothing wrong with PSU's gameplay. The author of that body of text has a beef with the enemies, not only how they attack but also how they react to being attacked.

Photon arts are fun to use; they give the game more action. The Ranger PAs in PS0 were awesome and fresh for a class that has historically had the least 'oomph' in their attacks.

Photon Arts are right and should stay. I'm glad they are still around. If PSO2 strikes a good balance with PAs and monsters then I'm sure everyone would be happy. I certainly don't want to go back to PSO however. I love the game, but every so often I pick it up and the combat feels pretty stiff now.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

You have to be blind to its problems or not want to admit them to say that there's nothing wrong with PSU's gameplay.

How the enemies were designed had impact on gameplay design. You can't deny that.

He never said that Photon Arts should go. You're misunderstanding what he's saying. If you doubt that, look at his praise of Phantasy Star 0, which does have Photon Arts.

Sure, Photon Arts for Rangers were a good idea. But their implementation wasn't. First, you need PP just to fire a gun, and equipping a Photon Art to it increases its PP cost. This makes the problem worse. Secondly, all the Photon Arts do is add an element to the bullets, which you can only switch by digging through menus.

I get that you liked Phantasy Star Universe more because of the increased mobility and combat options, but they did introduce new problems.
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Ugh, damn the internet and its requirement for being thorough...

I didn't imply that he said photon arts should go. I agreed with him.

The photon arts for Rangers that I spoke about were the ones for PS0, not PSU.

And yes, I meant to agree that enemies were the problem. When I said that gameplay in PSU was fine I meant that on part of the player's control. PAs were fun and fresh for Phantasy Star. The enemies were the problem. On the player side it was fine. I will admit that using a Ranger in the beginning was tough because PP restoring items were expensive. However, as these items began to not be expensive I saw no problem.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:16 pm

You don't see a problem with a basic attack requiring PP? I don't know what to say.
BenoitRen

Postby Neo48 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Nope, I guess I don't. It was never an issue for me. I didn't have enough time to experiment with every job in the game so I suppose there is a chance that I missed something. I did however use each race and a variant of each minor job (Hunter/Ranger/Force).

In fact, one of my favorite ranger photon arts was the handgun one that sapped HP from the monsters. And I believe it took double the PP of normal elemental bullets.
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Neo48 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:53 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcE1ZMt- ... r_embedded

Here is a High quality version with translations in the video.

Couple more things I noticed:

-The character's mouths move while they are using the facial chat system. Kind of neat.

-Also at the end of the video, the (HUmar?) was running and then broke into a faster run in order to quickly get to the enemies. Perhaps we'll see a faster run that can be used to traverse empty terrain.

Enjoy!
Neo48
King Rappy
King Rappy

Next

Return to Phantasy Star Online