What's the PhS remake?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Kienashe » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:44 pm

I'm clueless as to what the PhS remake is, I'd just like to know what it is.
Kienashe

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Mizehrith » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:34 am

For information regarding the upcoming PS I remake, Phantasy Star: Generation 1, take a look at the following. <p>http://ps2.ign.com/objects/568/568282.html<p>Included are screenshots, videos, reviews, and other information.<p>Best Regards :)<p>~ Mizehrith <br><p>[size=small][Edit by Mizehrith on [TIME]1076459687[/TIME]][/size]
Mizehrith

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:45 am

Some people already has imported versions of PS-Generations 1. Naflign put up some videos he made of cutscenes, and some walking around, I don´t know if he still has it online. All I know is that, for everything I saw, and the ammount of dialogues added (it was in japanese, but had some helluva texts), they have indeed improve the game a lot.
Monocromatico

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Redeemer » Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:02 am

Interesting. These are my first peeks at the new remake and even though Benoit wont like to read this but it looks promising. Sure the old one is still great this one will attract newcomers better with the additions. I kinda look forward to it unless its absolutely craptacular when I finally get to try it
Redeemer

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Benoit » Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:29 pm

<blockquote>they have indeed improve the game a lot.</blockquote> <br>Yeah, right. Adding dialogue and other stuff doesn't mean anything if it's crap.<br>They made Alis a sexual object and a wuss! Alis, the strong non-sexual object of PSI! It's one of the things that made the game so unique.<br>The game is very linear. You need a different dungeon key for every dungeon. The game looks more like a chitchat party than anything else, since the only way to advance is talking to many NPCs in the correct order.<p>Phantasy Star's spirit is non-existent in this title.
Benoit

What's the PhS remake?

Postby DaveGeorge » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:59 pm

I think the screenshots look nice, but if what Benoit says is true, I'm not so sure it'll be as good as the game we all know and love. The freedom of going anywere was the success for the first game.
DaveGeorge

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:45 pm

I like sexxxxay Alis... a lot! :^D<p>But yeah, I must agree that some things may have went superfluous and distorted. But we all have to recognize the lack of decent dialogues and character development in the original PS1, and they added these. I´m waiting for a translation to see if they made it all good or stupid.<p>I didn´t have the chance to listen to the sound track yet, but I hear people saying it is poorly done. The tunes are basically the same, but the instruments and rythm don´t match the themes, which can be a big let down.<p>I like the idea of enhancing your weapon with those crystal thingies or something
Monocromatico

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Benoit » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:04 pm

From what I hear those crystals are way too expensive to be of much use, since they quickly shatter after some uses. But that's only if you use them as an item. I don't think they shatter when you attach them to weapons for attributes.<p>Decent dialogues... are indeed missing in the original.<br>But character development isn't that necessary. A real role-playing game lets you develop your character by making choices and work with what you do know.
Benoit

What's the PhS remake?

Postby looked » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:16 pm

<i>A real role-playing game lets you develop your character by making choices and work with what you do know.</i> <p>I agree, but this isn't an rpg in that sense, these are premade characters with specific roles.
looked

What's the PhS remake?

Postby DaveGeorge » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:30 am

a decent dialogue is nice, but is it really that important? The sms-version is great even without all this blabbering :P. But then again, it would be nice to have a more concrete plot like in PSIV.<p>Alis can be how sexy she wants, she would still be my favourite video-girl ;)<br><p>[size=small][Edit by DaveGeorge on [TIME]1076585482[/TIME]][/size]
DaveGeorge

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Benoit » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:50 pm

But DaveGeorge, then she wouldn't be Alis anymore. Alis is a strong-willed girl who isn't a sexual object. The remake presents us with the opposite.
Benoit

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Monocromatico » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:23 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>But DaveGeorge, then she wouldn't be Alis anymore. Alis is a strong-willed girl who isn't a sexual object. The remake presents us with the opposite.<br></blockquote><p>She was my sexual object for years! ^.^
Monocromatico

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Benoit » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:41 pm

She was never designed to look like one, though. I mean like in clothes choice, and such. Oh well, I've made my point I guess...
Benoit

What's the PhS remake?

Postby ill-intent » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:07 pm

Having bought and played the PS1 remake (and actually speaking Japanese), I can safely say ALOT of the added story completely changes the personalities of the characters. Now, there are some cool story bits (like exactly how extensive Nero's anti-La'Sheik campain was), but most of it just killed the game and was meant to lengthen play time. (you have to run around town talking and re-talking to everyone to finally be allowed to buy the roadpass from the shopkeep.)<p> Oh, to settle your debates, Alis ISN'T strong willed or determined, she's just the stereotypical cutsie anime girl whining about a dead brother. <p> Now, some of the gameplay aspects are kinda cool. I liked the concept of the secondary weapons (Alis can use 2 knives instead of a sword), but yes, the gem-magic thing was kinda useless. There are a few new secrets in the dungeons and there is a PS4-like special item hidden for each character which are kind of like the Mota, Dezo, etc rings.<p> Overall (I've said it before, and I'll say it again), if you played the original, there's no need to waste money on this one. I'd only say get this if you never really got into PS until much later on and can't handle the "old school". (older RPGs had ALOT more stress on and need to level up. Some younger gamers don't have the patience)<p> What I don't understand is why remake 4? There is nothing they can do to that game other than fancier graphics. It was a solid game. (even square didn't dare mess with Chrono Trigger when they brought that out for a "higher system")
ill-intent

What's the PhS remake?

Postby Raith83 » Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:49 pm

Well, I'm glad they are still thinking "Phantasy Star" and not "well, let's work on other games. Okay, it was a crappy gesture that didn't matter of a game but it's good to know it's a franchise thats well and alive. I need to finish PS1 now to see how it ends, I've been slacking and not geting batteries for my GBA. (@) <p>[size=small][Edit by Raith83 on [TIME]1076619098[/TIME]][/size]
Raith83

Next

Return to Phantasy Star