PS remake translations...

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Missagh » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:02 pm

Greetings...<p>I wonder how they will translate the PS 1,2 and 4 remake - if they will use the original (japanese) names of the characters, or the english ones. :~ <br>What do you think?<p>Best regards,
Missagh

Postby Neo48 » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:07 pm

I'd go english. Or mabee they could make two versions, if possible.
Neo48

Postby Missagh » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:11 pm

Two versons, the chance of that is 0 :(
Missagh

Postby LaconianShot » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:17 pm

I'd say that the English names sound way cooler...well, some of them...<p>But they probably will go with english anyways. It doesn't matter to me anyway...I don't have a PS2 so I won't be able to play them.
LaconianShot

Postby Monocromatico » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:43 pm

As long as they don´t release them in Engrish, we will be set.
Monocromatico

Postby Redeemer » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:05 pm

Id say english cause I know those ones better.its all up to them on how they choose names
Redeemer

Postby Benoit » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:00 pm

He didn't ask what we think it should be, he asked what you think they will put it in.<br>I think they will go with the Japanese names.
Benoit

Postby Missagh » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:15 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><br>I think they will go with the Japanese names.<br></blockquote><p>That is discussible.. if they will choose the Japanese names, they might think it will confuse the players of the original games, see what I'm saying..<p>We'll just have to wait and see...<br>Best regards,
Missagh

Postby Benoit » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:49 pm

Since those are low-budget games, and Sega doesn't care much about it, I don't think they will make the effort to go with the English names.
Benoit

Postby Goldark » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:15 pm

Probably they'll do a mess, and maybe not. Really, it's unpredictable, many translators took some liberty while translating names, especially since I noticed that more often than not, the translator make some mistake or take a liberal interpretation of how the name should be pronounced, a clear example is Alis, the character that composes her name are: A-Ri-Sa. BUT the "A" is spoken differently in japanese compared to an "A" in english, so, technically, Alis is the wrong translation for english people but correct for italian (japanese and italian pronunciation are similar, well almost identical). don't ask ME to explain to you english speaker how is the correct pronunciation, I thought about it but I'm clueless.<br>BAck on topic, it all depends on the translator ability and preferences. Hope there will not be too much changes.
Goldark

Postby Monocromatico » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:11 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p>Since those are low-budget games, and Sega doesn't care much about it, I don't think they will make the effort to go with the English names.<br></blockquote><p>I fear that we may get Engrish translations because of that.<p>
Monocromatico

Postby zoothe » Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:29 am

While the characters and plots were what I loved about the original English PS games, I also remember how crappy the translastions were when you looked at the series as a whole. That being said, I hope they pick one way of doing the remakes and stick with it. If that means using the Japanese names and such, fine, do it for all the remakes and I'll be happy. Though, I have read that Odin was named Tyrone in the Japanese PS1.... kinda doesn't fit.
zoothe

Return to Phantasy Star