A piece of PS3 fan fiction that I wrote

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

A piece of PS3 fan fiction that I wrote

Postby etony33 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 am

I've never written any fan fiction before, but I decided that I'd like to. Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

(no title yet)

This morning was the same as every morning in Aquatica for the last few months - bitterly cold, with snow and high winds burying the warring kingdoms of Agoe and Shusoran. At first, it was greeted with enthusiasm by the citizens of Aquatica, especially the children, who had never before seen snow. Now, however, the food supply has run dangerously low, and soldiers on both sides are dying from starvation and losing limbs due to frostbite. Both sides are about at the end of their rope.

"If this goes on much longer, the war against the subhuman scum in Agoe will be all for naught, as we're all going to die!" said King Sean of Shusoran. "It has already reached the point where our infirmary is full of Orakians, and Agoe's infirmary is full of Layans!"

"Don't worry, dad, Shusoran is still full of booze and women," said Lyle, King Sean's son and the prince of Shusoran. "If we're all going to die, we might as well die happy!"

"Can you ever think of anything else, Lyle? If this storm passes, I dread the day when you end up as the ruler of this land."

At that point, a soldier walked into the room. "Your Majesty, a message from King Crys of Cille," he said, while handing a slip of paper to the king. King Sean gasped and began to breathe heavily, with a look of shock on his face. "Princess Maia of Cille has lost her memory! She doesn't even know her own father!"

"Wait, what? Impossible!" stammered Lyle. "First the weather, and now this? Something strange is afoot. Is it possible to find the root of this problem?"

"Well, I've heard that the world of Aridia has a tower which helps to control the climate in our world," said King Sean. "I have no idea how to get there, however."

"There might be a way," said the soldier who had delivered the news of Maia's amnesia. "I heard a rumor long ago that the ruins of that fortress near Rysel across the sea may have a secret passage that leads to the world of Aridia."

"Secret passage? What a bunch of hogwash. Orakio wasn't smart enough for something like that. Besides, even if it did exist, we can't cross the sea. The water is frozen."

"I'll get there, dad. Don't worry about how, but I will get there. I'll report back here soon."

With that, Lyle left Shusoran castle. Under the cover of darkness, he transformed into a dragon and flew to the ruins. Amazingly enough, the rumor was true - there really was a secret passage that led to a cave! Lyle saw some monsters there who had apparently been making the passageway their home ever since the Orakio-Laya war. They were vicious and attacked Lyle, but a few Foi and Zan techniques quickly eradicated them. After traveling down some dead end paths, which had seemingly atrophied over time, Lyle walked out the other side and into a desert world. "This is crazy," he thought to himself. "It's so hot and dry here! Does anyone actually live here?"

After walking for a little while in the desert, Lyle began to feel dehydrated, as it was very hot and he had no water. He did eventually come across someone who was pacing back and forth in the desert. Since he hadn't seen anyone else, he decided to stop and ask her for help.

"Hey lady, where's this weather control place? My world is in trouble."

The woman turned and looked at him, showing that she was, in fact, not human, but a cyborg with damage to her face. "Where is Orakio? It has been 1,000 years, but I'd know his black sword anywhere!"

Lyle was a bit taken aback by this. He responded that Orakio had been destroyed by Laya. Miun stammered that she did not believe him, and she continued to pace back and forth. Lyle continued to walk until he reached a settlement.

"The cyborgs of Hazatak rarely get human guests," a robot told Lyle. Lyle asked about the weather control tower, and a cyborg explained that only a Wren type cyborg could fix it. He also explained that only an Orakian would be able to utilize Wren in this fashion. Lyle was despondent at this news. He then asked about the other caves in Aridia. Another cyborg explained that those caves each go to different worlds, and that they are all sealed except for the one from Aquatica. A gem would be needed to get inside. After having discussed this at length, it was revealed that the cyborgs in Hazatak had the Twins Ruby, a gem that would open the passage between Aridia and Landen.

"Landen!", Lyle thought to himself. "That's Orakio's hometown, isn't it? I'll never get anyone from Agoe to cooperate, but maybe if..."

Lyle's thoughts trailed off, and he spent the night in Hazatak's inn. The next morning, he returned home with a devious plan in his head.

"Son, did you find the passage to Aridia?"

"Yes, dad, I did."

"Did you bring us any food? Did you find any humans there? Did you find anything out about the weather control tower?"

"No food, dad. No humans live there. I did find something out about the weather control tower. Unfortunately, there isn't anything that any of us can do to fix it."

"So...that means we're all going to..." said the king, his voice trailing off in a pit of despair.

"I have a plan," said Lyle. "And I know you won't like it. How's Maia doing?"

"Maia? She's still the same. She doesn't know who her father is, or anyone else for that matter. You're not going to...no, I forbid it! You will not use Maia for any purpose!"

"We don't have a choice, dad. I'm leaving."

"You need to take your responsibilities as the prince of Shusoran more seriously! If you involve Maia, and something happens to her, I will never forgive you, and you will be put to death!"

"Whatever, dad. I'm leaving."

And with that, Lyle was able to precariously walk across the ice to Cille from Shusoran. People in Cille were a bit surprised to see him. They then saw a dragon fly out of Cille castle while holding onto the amnesiac princess. People in Cille were rightly alarmed, and King Crys of Cille decided to send out Cille's armed forces to try to get Maia back. Since no one knew about Lyle's special power, not even his own parents, they were not able to figure out what happened.

Lyle remained in his dragon form all throughout the passage to Aridia. Maia was terrified. Lyle did not say a word. After they arrived in Aridia, Lyle briefly became human again, and he was able to sneak in and out of Hazatak after stealing the Twins Ruby. Once he took it, he immediately captured Maia again, went through the passageway to Landen, and left Maia near a beach that was close to Landen. Maia seemingly didn't remember any of it, not because of her amnesia, but because it was such a traumatic experience that her brain blocked it out.

Lyle's plan was in motion. He knew the only chance he had to fix the weather in Aquatica was to get an Orakian to control Wren, but no Orakian would do that willingly. So, Lyle decided to leave Maia near Landen in hopes that she would fall in love with an Orakian and that they'd agree to get married, after which Lyle would take Maia back, go back to Aquatica, making sure the Orakian knew that she had gone that way. The Orakian would arrive in Aquatica and he would find out that Maia was across the sea, but that it was impossible for him to get there by boat due to the water being frozen. This would furthermore force the Orakian to fix the weather so that he'd be able to get to Shusoran and Cille. Lyle wasn't sure what he would do after that. I guess it didn't really matter to him at that point - the weather would be fixed, and his people would survive. He did feel bad for using Maia as bait, especially since she'd be with the despicable Orakians, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Lyle just sort of wandered about for the next few months. He tried to find out a little bit more about Landen, and he was told that the Sapphire could open up the passageway to Aquatica, but that it was a royal treasure of Landen. He soon heard that Maia had, in fact, gotten engaged to an Orakian. Not just any Orakian, but the prince of Landen! This was getting interesting now. Lyle was always a thrill seeker who didn't worry much, but he was a little bit scared, though he wouldn't ever admit it. He spied on Landen castle for a little while, realizing that the Sapphire was stored in the throne room. He waited patiently for Maia's wedding day, then as the couple were taking their vows, the dragon knight broke a window and went into the throne room, grabbing the gem while doing so, though nobody seemed to notice beacuse of all the commotion. He grabbed onto his cousin and prepared to make his escape.

"Filthy Orakians! Maia will not be yours!"

And so, Lyle flew to the Landen-Aquatica passage, went inside with the Sapphire, and brought Maia back to Cille, doing so during daylight hours to ensure everyone saw it. His plan had gotten off to a good start. Now, he'd just have to go back to Landen so that he could manipulate this Orakian fool prince to fix the weather. He had no idea what would happen from here, but he knew one thing: it was worth a shot.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: A piece of PS3 fan fiction that I wrote

Postby Zucca » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:48 am

etony33 wrote:Enjoy, and let me know what you think!
Ok. Take these as improvement suggesions. I, myself, suck at writing anything fictional so I mainly grab on to story line errors if anything else.

etony33 wrote:we can't cross the sea. The water is frozen."
This is counter intuitive. When there's a long cold season people could just walk over the water. However this same applies to the game - no walking on ice allowed. But I'd rather give more explanation as to why can't walk over the ice, or just circumvent the dialog altogether.

etony33 wrote:Miun stammered that she did not believe him, and she continued to pace back and forth.
We, the readers, don't know the name of the cyborg yet.

etony33 wrote:Maia seemingly didn't remember any of it, not because of her amnesia, but because it was such a traumatic experience that her brain blocked it out.
I haven't read any offical stories about the time before PSIII. Is this really what happened? Anyway. I'd combine the traumatic scenes with the amnesia as the factors that wiped Maia's memory again. Sounds maybe more plausible?

etony33 wrote:So, Lyle decided to leave Maia near Landen in hopes that she would fall in love with an Orakian and that they'd agree to get married, after which Lyle would take Maia back, go back to Aquatica, making sure the Orakian knew that she had gone that way.
If he did that he's a very cruel man. :D

etony33 wrote:Lyle just sort of wandered about
This sounds a bit silly compared to the rest of the story. Maybe remove "just sort of" from there?

In general is nice short story form of a prequel to PSIII. :handgestures-thumbupright:
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby etony33 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:30 pm

As far as walking on ice is concerned...

You live in Finland, right? So, I'm sure you have seen it...you want to play pond hockey, but the ice isn't thick enough, so it's a bit questionable as to whether it would break, especially towards the middle where the water is deeper. You wouldn't be able to use a boat, either, though.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:46 pm

Nice catch regarding Miun's name.

Lyle is, indeed, quite cruel in this story. But, it's like the age old question: You are operating a bridge. A boat is approaching, but a young boy is caught in the gears of the bridge. If you move the bridge, the boy will die. If you don't, everyone on the boat will die. What do you do?

Maia's amnesia, and the reason for the weather control tower acting up, are both completely unexplained in both the Japanese and English translations.

Lyle wandering aimlessly was actually for a good reason - he needed to spy on Maia and Landen to ensure Maia wasn't harmed, but he had to do so without drawing any attention to himself.

Maia having amnesia prior to any of the events of the story was necessary in order for Lyle to use her to manipulate an Orakian to fix the weather. It would be far fetched for Lyle to be able to deliberately cause her amnesia, and if she had any memory of Cille or of being brought to Landen, she'd be of no use to Lyle.

I definitely should have explained these things better. Thank you!
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby DarkMyau » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:00 am

I liked it. But it does need work.

I cant talk though as my first attempt wasnt great either.
DarkMyau
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby etony33 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:10 am

It's more or less an effort to explain how Maia ended up in Landen, and why Lyle acted the way he did throughout the first generation.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:06 pm

I think I'm going to continue on and write a sequel of sorts to this. Any other general critiques would be appreciated.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star