Cancelling seemingly strips away any resistances granted by

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Cancelling seemingly strips away any resistances granted by

Postby etony33 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 pm

Someone posted this over at GameFAQs, and I tested it...and yeah, it definitely does, at least with the Plasma Field.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Re: Cancelling seemingly strips away any resistances granted

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:03 am

it shouldn't. I've seen speedrunners equip Kyra with the Plasma Field and still negate damage from PFD3's normal attack after a cancelling. I'd have to see it myself but cancelling is only coded to set Def, MDef, Agi, and Str back to original values, much in the same way the Psycho Wand returns Lashiec's stats to their normal value after a Reinforce.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 am

I started a new game and changed Chaz's Factor 2 resistance to 0A, put him at level 99, brought him through The Edge, changed PD1 and PD2's HP so that theyd transform after one hit. PD3 attacked for 13 damage before Cancelling and 999 afterwards. It surprised me, too.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:51 pm

that could explain it. resistances, from what I recall, normally only go up to 4, and the higher the number, the more damage you will take. a resistance of 10 probably causes an overflow in damage at times that causes it to go low (same thing happens in Phantasy Star II with the overflow wherein anything above 255 loops back to 1). So in theory, it isn't outside the realm of possibility to have 999 loop to 13, which would only be a difference of 14 damage, well within the range of RNG this game offers.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:40 pm

He had the Plasma Field equipped, which overrides his resistance and sets it to 1. I could set it to 04 and try again.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby etony33 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:41 am

https://youtu.be/vgCSRVH97Uo

Here you go. I set Chaz's F2 resistance to 04, started a new game (it doesn't work on an existing save), got him to level 99, gave him the Plasma Field, sent him into The Edge, set PD1 and PD2's HP low enough so that they'd transform after one hit, and PD3 attacked for 1 or 2 before Cancelling and 593 afterwards.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby MrStarbird » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 pm

After seeing your video and after rewatching bichpuongballz's 2nd place speedrun video where the exact scenario happens, I can confirm this to be absolutely true. Thanks for pointing this out.
MrStarbird
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby etony33 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 am

It probably doesn't change much as far aa strategy is concerned. Maybe it justifies giving Hahn the Mahlay Shield instead of the Plasma Field (Mahlay has +28 DEF and +12 MDEF while the Plasma Field has +22 and +11 respectively. However, the Plasma Field still may be the better option for two reasons: the Factor 2 resistance helps tremendously against Ray Breath, PD2's attack, and PD3's attack prior to Cancelling, and also, not equipping the Mahlay Shield means you can keep it in your inventory so that anyone can use it for the Deban effect if Rika needs to be healing instead).

It also possibly means that dual Laser Barriers may be the best choice for Rune or Raja (not both, you only get two). Psy Shield gives +21 DEF, +10 MDEF, and +1 Mental, while Laser Barroer gives +18 DEF and 12 MDEF. There's also the Silver Shield (+25 DEF and +4 MDEF), but it's probably inferior to both the Psy Shield and Laser Barrier.
etony33
King Rappy
King Rappy

Return to Phantasy Star