The dissappointment in PSIII

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Zucca » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:17 am

It maybe so.
At least when you look at the worlds there's much just empty space filled with mountains etc. Some worlds only contain few places to enter.
Still it's quite a long game.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Zucca » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Now I found the right words. Just maybe...
What if the devs of PSIII would have only concentrated to one single generation? I think PSIII would have been more complete then.
I really can't say if I liked it better, though... But just as a thought. Because creating stories for seven different generations is kinda hard work when you need to keep the story intact. And the job goes even harder when crating the story for the latter generations.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Muuu teKi » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm

What really disappoints me is how all the art that Toyo Ozaki has drawn with the characters has so much charm and activity and action, and yet the art in the game feels so sterile and soulless...and there's so little of it.

The unofficial character book is so awesome.
Move sig for great justice!
Muuu teKi
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby BenoitRen » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I like the portraits. They have this unique style that sets them apart from the typical manga ones.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Zucca » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:21 am

BenoitRen wrote:...apart from the typical manga ones.
...Which is good. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Mono » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 pm

The portraits are the best, in my opinion. It´s one of the few things I like in this game that is not because of my feelings for it, but something that pleases my eyes more than the usual over-stylised huge-eyes manga characters.

The cutscenes, however, look kinda weird...
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Semix » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:21 am

it was the speed that annoyed me (as well as all the other stuff you said).
Play PSIV and see how fast you move about, PSIII feels slow and basic, confusing and how do you even fight what do the wiggily symbols mean??
Semix
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Muuu teKi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:16 am

I figure the confusing battle menu system is to cut down on piracy much in the way that old PC games did -- requiring having the manual or other pack-ins in order to play the game efficently (without ridiculous trial and error)..

This is much like how Phantasy Star II had a guidebook packed-in with the game, likely just so that players could actually get through Ikuto with their sanity intact.

Certainly it's something worth revamping, however.
Move sig for great justice!
Muuu teKi
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Zucca » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Semix wrote:it was the speed that annoyed me (as well as all the other stuff you said).
Play PSIV and see how fast you move about, PSIII feels slow and basic, confusing and how do you even fight what do the wiggily symbols mean??
The speed is almost the same. It's just that in PSIII the towns and buildings were bigger.
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Nate556 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 pm

I've mostly been lurking on this thread, and I've decided to voice my opinions.

I for one had very few complaints about the game.
Complaint #1: Techniques.
I wish the techniques were a little more useful. I never had Wren cast a spell that did damage even close to what his normal attack did. Same for most of the other characters. The only really useful spells that I used were the ones that raise attack power, and the healing spells. All the others appeared to be junk to me.
One spell even makes the monsters run away, who in their right mind would do this ? I like EXP and Meseta.

Complaint #2: Shops.
I hated the way the shops were scattered around. You go looking for the last few pieces of armor, you have to travel around all the worlds looking in all of the shops for just the right piece of gear, it got pretty tedius.

Compalint 3: Diversity.
I've seen this complain voiced before, and I tend to agree that when you visit towns, there really is not a whole lot to do, and they all tend to look the same. I hated how the majority of houses were empty. I actually took my time to visit nearly every single house and climb to that 2nd story just to either find it empty, or find some person say something like, "It's cold outside".

That's pretty much it. None of these things really ruined the game for me, as I;ve said before in another thread, I like this game a lot. I love the story line, I love the relationships between the characters and the whole generations aspect. I loved the ability to choose between brides and the ginormous consequences of doing so. Even the first choise between Maia and Lena was a huge choice to make(I made a thread about it!).
The fate of entire kingdoms depends on who you choose for a bride and the children you have. To me, that's just a big dune-esque plot device that I thought was really well done.
I also like the music a lot, even the battle music which people seem to dislike. I admit that weird electric sound is annoying when you are selecting your moves, but after that the music is good, and it changes as well based on where you are or what monsters you fight, which I thought was a great feature since not too many games do that. I also liked the victory music. It was simple, but hearing it often made me smile.
I thought the over-world theme was adequately depressing and fit the plot perfectly. The town music was lovely, the special music was lovely.
Those three minor, very minor, complaints above really do not stack up to all the things I like about this game.

I guess one thing that makes me different from you guys, is that when I started playing this game, I didn't have any expectations of it. I hadn't played PS4 before, and so I didn't start playing it expecting it to be anything like that. Even so many years after it was made, the game was completely fresh and new to me, and I didn't have a pre-concieved idea of "what PS is supposed to be". I think that's why I can enjoy so many different things about it without being disappointed in any way.
I see some people wishing there were more dialoge between characters, but i think all PS games except 4 had this problem.
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby thriwren » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:15 pm

I might of said this before, other may have said it, but I think they had a too big of an idea for what ever time they had. I would like to see the team for this game (most if not all) come back together and try to do fix things in the game, add some more content in the generations (the last ones seem about the same quest wise as stated some where else), have a few more hints that this might have a connection to the previous two (weather from the other ship, have a village elders that will drop a hint or two in or near their house, etc. But oh well this will never happen.
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Zucca » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:06 am

Semix: I dug trough this topic for you, because I didn't explain the speed thing quite clearly last time (I was in a hurry). But here's the post where I explained the speed "illusion" a bit better. :)
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Abominae » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:41 pm

When I think of the Phantasy Star series, I think of games with hoardes of vastly untapped potential. Phantasy Star 3 is one such title, but to be fair, I do not see it being the juggernaut game it's predecessor or successor are.

The game, like "The Adventures of Link" (via "nemesis control) is the black sheep for a reason. Where as TAoL would have made a great game had it not been forced to live up to TLoZ, PS3 had PS2 to live up to and they're both of the same genre and hold many of the same ideas.

It's PS3 execution that's made it the inferior game. While tons of story's are abound, none of them ever seem to mesh into the whole of the story. They feel built on a "touch and go" system rather than being insightfully planned. PS2 had very little side story despite the massive amount of dungeon area and while it worked in PS2, in PS3, it felt more like a desert crawl than anything else.

To put it simply, PS4 is as close to perfect as the PS series has come. PS2 was the crown jewel, and PSO showed that the series still has it... if only they can get their s*** together to really give their games the attention to detail they've been literally starving for.

*Lights a candle for Sega*

we wait for the return of our beloved series.

Here's hoping we see it this winter.
Abominae

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:27 pm

Abominae wrote:To put it simply, PS4 is as close to perfect as the PS series has come.

Not again.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Nate556 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:35 am

I don't understand why people compare these games. Might as well compare left hands and right hands. My right hand is important, without it, i couldnt.... pick my nose. but yet, without my left hand I couldn't open miracle whip jars.

This contains a few end game spoilers:

I think PS3 really sets up the PSO and PSU games. PS3 has much more in common with those games than it does 2 and 4, because of the whole living on a giant ship thing.
Now, I havn't played very much PSO, I only just recently figured out how to do quests and missions on it. BUt I understand where the story comes from with PSO because of PS3. Same with PSU, I understand why so many people are living on the ship despite having three beautiful planets to live on.

I think PS3 just gives the whole series that much more scope. Instead of it all just being on the three(or two) planets of Algo, it's now all over the universe. If you drop PS3 from the series, then you are saying that it's not important that there are survivors from Palm, and that they escaped on these mighty ships. Not important, ehh ? That just makes the whole of the PS games that much bigger. You drop 3, the whole series drops in scope and importence.
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star