The dissappointment in PSIII

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby KexMex » Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:12 pm

Overall, it's a good game and worth calling a PS game even as it doesn't connect much to the rest. But, sadly, i think they did a lot of mistakes in the game.<p>The graphics in PSII was FAR better. So was the music. I turned the music off completely. That SOUND was horrible!<p>The battle system is not so good either.<p>But it has a good story nonetheless, and it's still worth playing.<p>Now, please either say you agree or say that this thread was completely wasted.
KexMex

Postby Lietz » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:07 pm

honestly I quit playing before compleating the game for the GBA It didnt interest me, also i got lost (@)
Lietz

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:07 pm

Actually, if you like PS 1, you must like 3.<p>Why?<p>Ps 3 has the same type of battle system as one.<p>Except PS 3 shows more than one enemy, whereas PS 1 shows 1.<p>Now if you say, a enemy flipped me off, Well a enemy in Ps 1 just spit at you. One just did a flip, one shot 1 missile. <p>2 and 4 have a same battle engine, 1 and 3 do.<p>While the battle engine in 3 is kinda bad, if you liked the older rpg's with the same system, you can't hate 3.
Lord Khyron

Postby KexMex » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:14 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lord Khyron</i><p>Actually, if you like PS 1, you must like 3.<p>Why?<p>Ps 3 has the same type of battle system as one.<p>Except PS 3 shows more than one enemy, whereas PS 1 shows 1.<p>Now if you say, a enemy flipped me off, Well a enemy in Ps 1 just spit at you. One just did a flip, one shot 1 missile. <p>2 and 4 have a same battle engine, 1 and 3 do.<p>While the battle engine in 3 is kinda bad, if you liked the older rpg's with the same system, you can't hate 3. <br></blockquote><p>Well actually, 1 wasn't all that great either... but one must understand that they could have made PSIII look and sound better. That's the most of it. Why didn't they, low budget or what?
KexMex

Postby Malakai » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:50 pm

Ho boy, here we go again:<br> <blockquote>it's a good game and worth calling a PS game even as it doesn't connect much to the rest...[/quote]<br>Of course it's a PS game and connects with the rest! It's clearly explained throughout the game where they came from and why they were there, and not just by the old guys in New Mota.<p>and this really disappoints me...<br>[quote]But, sadly, i think they did a lot of mistakes in the game. <br>The graphics in PSII were FAR better. So was the music. I turned the music off completely. That SOUND was horrible! </blockquote> <p>Better graphics? In what sense? The two game formats were completely different. It's like comparing apples and tomatoes. And the 'sinister' battle music was annoying, but I found the rest of it just as enjoyable as any of the PS games. It was very innovative, especially the way they did the overworld music.
Malakai

Postby Malakai » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:53 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Lietz</i><p>honestly I quit playing before compleating the game for the GBA It didnt interest me, also i got lost (@) <br></blockquote><p>How did you get lost? The worlds were very simple, and the dungeons were cake compared with those from PSII.
Malakai

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:56 pm

I'm sorry.. But the Landen Town Theme is so beautiful..<p>So is Royal Waltz and Rhys Anger!<p>Rhys Anger is true anger o.o
Lord Khyron

Postby Malakai » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:09 pm

Lord Khyron, I am finding it very uncanny that we seem to see eye to eye on just about everything discussed in this forum. :~
Malakai

Postby Benoit » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:21 pm

Yeah, the Landen town music is sweet! It's one of the things that made me play it again, years back when I had the ROM, and no knowledge of the series...<br> <blockquote>Well actually, 1 wasn't all that great either... but one must understand that they could have made PSIII look and sound better. That's the most of it. Why didn't they, low budget or what?</blockquote><br>Lack of time and cartridge space. Sega rushed the team.
Benoit

Postby Shell Presto » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:19 pm

I'll admit that the game was a bit lacking, if not in the plot department, than in characterization. Often, when I had to pick between girls to marry, I didn't feel any connection to either girl. When I first played the game and the choice for Lena and Maia came up, I wasn't expecting it, and part of me was like "why the heck would I choose Lena?"<p>So I wish characterization was better. And the cave passageways were repetitive. But it was a good game and I enjoy it. I think what hurt the game is that it didn't hit you over the head with it's Phantasy-Star-ness. I mean, only one villager mentions the legend of Dark Force and Alis, and I know there are ways to not go to the town of engineers, so some people can play through the game and not even know that those aboard Alisa III are the people who escaped Palma. I think that is the most important connection in the game!<p>Also, they kinda downplayed the Nei weapons, and they could have said more about Rolf. I mean, Palman scholars would have much more to say about him, he affected their lives so much! So, I guess I can agree it wasn't a great game, but it is a good solid game and it is an important piece in Phantasy Star.<br>
Shell Presto

Postby Benoit » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:36 pm

<blockquote>part of me was like "why the heck would I choose Lena?"</blockquote><br>Yeah, that's what most PSIII players ask themselves when thinking about that scene. ;)
Benoit

Postby Lord Khyron » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:36 pm

Well then we must be long lost evil Lord Clones or something Malakai. :D<p>Unless I know you from elsewhere.. LOL
Lord Khyron

Postby LaconianShot » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:26 pm

<blockquote>But, sadly, i think they did a lot of mistakes in the game. <br>The graphics in PSII were FAR better. So was the music. I turned the music off completely. That SOUND was horrible! </blockquote> <br>Granted, there were a lot of mistakes in the game, but the music and the wonderful graphics/character design certainly weren't among them. I don't know how you could hate the music... I played it on the GBA and still loved the music. Regarding the graphics, I can perhaps see reasons why you would dislike them, if you favor less realistic graphics, which I do not. I loved PSIII's style... PSIV would've been even better if it looked like that.<br><p>[size=small][Edit by LaconianShot on [TIME]1107901619[/TIME]][/size]
LaconianShot

Postby Monocromatico » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:39 am

I may agree that the battle system sucked, that the game was too easy, that the characters were too slow, that there were useless places to explore just to find nothing, and etc. But if there are 2 things I can never agree is about graphics and music. The monster design (not the battle animation... which manages to be better than the Final Fantasies by the time, still) and the sprites and character portraits were by far the best art works of the series. <p>And I have 3 words for the music: Best. Song. Ever. (the main theme and it´s variants, specially Laya´s world theme, simply magical)
Monocromatico

Postby Forge » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:22 am

I prefer PSII, although PSIII is pretty cool. I still feel that it is worthy of the title 'Phantasy Star'.<p>And KexMex, I agree on the music side. Especially the church music.
Forge

Next

Return to Phantasy Star