The dissappointment in PSIII

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Postby Daren The King » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:27 pm

I still can't get myself to go passed the desert at the very beginning... The game just sucked so bad for me. I remember back when my bro had first rented it in 92. I was at a friends house and actually made him come get me earlier cause, lets face it, it was a new PS game and back when I adored PS1 and loved PS2 even more, I was expecting PS3 to be a Masterpiece! :O<p>God know it didn't turn out that way.......<p>The Graphics: Sure there more realistic, look better then even PS 4's graphics, but they don't look or feel like a PS game. They feel like a shameless attemp to look like a Final Fantasy game. Something that turns me off right off the bat about those graphics is the completly lack of color. They look so pale and have no personallity. But thats not even scraping the tip of the iceburg with problems connecting to the graphics... All the towns even in the desert have the same BLOODY graphics! all the worlds look alike! all the houses inside and out look alike! and why oh why does a town in the desert of lets say in an ice planet are green with tons of trees! !@#$ :? <p>The Music: I have nothing againts this beautiful music. I love it :) Lovely theme and all, fits a medieval world perfectly. But to me, it never sounded PS like...<p>Sprites: The character sprites were very well done for sure, they looked pretty good and yes looked even better then the FF series sprites. But again after playing the first 2 games, they didn't feel like PS to me.<p>Battles: This is the worst aspect of this game. When even I feel like starting a new game again, I see the horrid battle system and I'm then turned off. Where to start with the battle system.... The music was boring, the ennemi animation (if you can even call those animations" were terribly made... I mean PS 1 had better animations, the ennemies looked bad, sometimes even stupid (Giant anyone?) hey the webmaster wrote the most sarcastic statement I've read in a long time about the giant <b>"Hey, teacher. I want to tell you that Rhys and Mieu hit me in the schoolyard. And, hey, this guy does not only moves his finger, but also moves his mouth. Phantastic animation."</b> The feel of the battles was bad, the "icons" you used to choose what you needed to do were annoying, etc... I could go one and on about those battles, but I thnk I've said enough.<p>The Dungeons: Those the word Repeatitive mea anything to that PS team? Sure PS2's dougeons were tough and long, but after you finished one, you actually felt like you had accomplished something good and hard. in PS1, the labyriths could get hard and you could get lost in them, but at least you also felt like having accomplished something... In PS 3 I felt as if the creators were thinking that the players were to stupid to actually put a challenge into the dungeons. Could these things get more repeatitive or simple? why not just draw one big line in any given directions and continue it without turning what so ever for about the lenght of a normal dungeon? these were just dumb in my opinion.<p>Dialogue: Or lack there of... do you have to be 5 years old to enjoy this bad dialogue? cause thats what it felt like to me. Sure PS2 had bad dialogue as well as PS4 but never this bad. "Hello I'm Mieu, I'll join you so you can use me to get on the boat..." or something just as bad (I don't remember exactly what she said because it was sooooo memorable)<p>What else? of yea, lack of diversity perhaps? is it just me or is the main "cool" option in the game, meaning, the generations, were all the same? If you played the first one, why even bother continuing onto the second or 3rd? %) How about lack of character development? Why should I choose between which girl to marry? oh yea... because I HAVE TO! %) <p>The game as so much flaws it actually hurt me the first time I've played it... But now 12 years after, I can get conforted by the fact that if it didn't exist, it wouldn't change anything from the 3 other games which in my so honest opinion, are hundreds of times better.<p>Daren
Daren The King

Postby KexMex » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:50 pm

Those of you who think the enemy sprites look good, have you ever seen Final Fantasy VI? Those are works of art... and quite literally. The guy who did them was professional.
KexMex

Postby Kars! » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:11 pm

now my opinion!<p>i started to play rpg with ps1 ^_^ ( it was hard! it took an entire evening to develop a strategy to kill even 2 bee!!! also being italian 12 years old boys surely didn't helped)<p>after that we went straight to buy sword of vermillion and after two month ps2!<p>after long years i put my hand on ps4 for emulators and after that also on 3<p>delusion Image <p>1 was great , 2 was nice ,4 was the best !!!<br>...3 was crap T_T<p>music: i didn't really remember all the music but battle music was a kick in my hears >_<<p>graphic: first glance : nice ! it looks like sword of vermillion...<br>....after a short time : crap!! colors are death , monsters stand still , they only move on attacking, also they are ugly , yeah! you can see all of them , but in ps1 they are larger and have better animation!!!<br>also scenery in fighting are crap T_T , ps1 is better<br>dungeon? booooring<br>city: all the same!!!!<br>portrait: 2&4 are better<p>story: useless , they forget quite all other ps ( but i didn't played all the game)<br>also why do i have to marry an unknow girl while i made me a triple ass to rescue my real girl?????<br>also no one give you good information where to move , dungeon are useless long also the sphere are long and desolated<p>magic: luckily noone reused that stupid sistem! <p>playability: difficult , repetitive and boring<p>!!!ehy!! there is also a good point Image <p>without this game couldn't be WREN in ps4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<br>
Kars!

Postby Benoit » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:57 pm

<blockquote>Those of you who think the enemy sprites look good, have you ever seen Final Fantasy VI? Those are works of art... and quite literally. The guy who did them was professional.</blockquote><br>Way to go, you're comparing a game from 1991, which was rushed, to a game from 1994, that had good development!<br> <blockquote>story: useless , they forget quite all other ps ( but i didn't played all the game)</blockquote><br>Exactly! You didn't even play the entire game, yet you think you know the full story.<br> <blockquote>magic: luckily noone reused that stupid sistem!</blockquote><br>The Technique system was an innovating feature. It's just too bad that most of the Techniques were crap.
Benoit

Postby Kars! » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:04 pm

i didn't like the story from the beginning , layan and orazian >_<<p>magic: yeah , could be a nice sistem , but really magic were crap , i used only healing and single target attack<br>multiple target attack were always weak , also you can cure anything with even lv 1 antidote
Kars!

Postby Forge » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:08 pm

I must admit that it isn't a bas game... far from it in fact, but I don't enjoy it anyway near as much as PSII. The graphics were better, but the logical errors, i.e. trees in Hazatak, annoyed me.<p>The music was alright, I suppose, but not a touch on PSII, or PSI even. (Although, they technically are better.) They aren't as PSey.<p>I really disliked the battles. Sure, they were easier than PSI or PSII, but I never really liked easy things anyway. The menu system annoyed me greatly, and the symbols confused me first time around.<p>The characters walk too slowly.<p>Although... I do like the marriage/generation system and the story line is further filled in by this episode.<p> <blockquote>part of me was like "why the heck would I choose Lena?"</blockquote> <p>I'm specifically going to choose Maia and then Thea to breed Sean, that being my real name.<p>Oh no! There goes my anonymity!
Forge

Postby Shell Presto » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:04 pm

<blockquote><br> <blockquote>magic: luckily noone reused that stupid sistem!</blockquote><br>The Technique system was an innovating feature. It's just too bad that most of the Techniques were crap.<p><blockquote><i>Originally posted by Benoit</i><p></blockquote><p>Okay, now, everyone says the magic in that game was useless, but I disagree! Okay, it did take me til my third time playing through the game, but if you take into account how the rest of you normal fighters hit, and you actually bother to reconfigure your grid when you level up, techniques can be really handy. I remember I had Lyle to a point where he could take out most enemies with Foi but also helped me clear out all small enemies in one turn with (I think it was either gra or zan) when paired with wren, which is really handy because enemies hit hard in that game. <p>Besides that, I thought it was a godsend to be able to recalibrate healing techs later in the game, so that you had the option of a super-healing spell for the whole party or a super-healing spell for single character use. <p>I really like PSIII.....
Shell Presto

Postby LegoMuskCat » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:32 pm

All these disappoints in PS3 are driving me insane!! !@#$ This and PS4 are my favorite PS games and you couldn't force me to choose between them. PS3 is considered the "black sheep" of the series, but is it how it contrasts to the rest of the series that <i>some</i> of you find so awkward? Indeed, it is different, but not by much, and it's still a Phantasy Star, like it or not.<p>The music is beautiful... Warms my heart every time I hear it. The battle music on the otherhand... It seems unfinished and kind of choppy to me. But on the most part, I love it all.<p>The gameplay isn't to difficult, that is, if you know what you're doing. I never had much trouble with it, although I always thought it was a breeze, myself. <p>The dungeons weren't too tough, while the world maps are huge! Something that struck me as funny is how anyone can get lost in the desert. Everything in there can easily be found by using all the caves, temples, and the lone town as points to trace your way across the desert. <br>Example... When you first enter the desert w/Rhys, you head south of the temple nearby the cave until you reach the next one, then go west until you meet the town. Then you can continue going west to find Wren in a cave. Anyone here know what I'm talking about? Straight lines, I tell you! (like a grid, sort of) Also, one thing that killed me was all the blocked caves. I've beaten the game every way, and there's always a few caves that couldn't be entered. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that this game was never truely finished...<p>The battle system... I can't say I disliked it, but it was always hassle in the end. I probably like the battle best against DF. It was speedy and had music that you could rock to! :hardcore: Oh, here's a thought: PS3 w/DF's theme instead of that other music!<p>I liked the overall graphics. They were easy on the eyes and more realistic.<p>I loved the characters and the generation system. I played through the whole game to see all the characters I'd get by choosing between the brides. <p>Another thing that I loved were the items. You can use certain equipment to heal your party in or out of battle. Example: You're stranded in the middle of the desert and most of your party is dead, and you have a Force Claw handy. You can use it to revive your members free of charge and TP!! I have a mostly complete list of usable items, if anyone cares to see it.<p>Yeah, I have too much time on my hands. I know the game inside-out. I think I'll stop here or I'll continue to obsess over this under-appreciated masterpiece that sadly, wasn't completed. :(
LegoMuskCat

Postby Benoit » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:16 pm

<blockquote>The characters walk too slowly.</blockquote><br>They walk just as fast as the PSII characters.<br> <blockquote>Another thing that I loved were the items. You can use certain equipment to heal your party in or out of battle. Example: You're stranded in the middle of the desert and most of your party is dead, and you have a Force Claw handy. You can use it to revive your members free of charge and TP!! I have a mostly complete list of usable items, if anyone cares to see it.</blockquote><br>O_O<p>I didn't know, and never read that you could use items in PSIII!<br>OMG, I have to try this out when I get my Mega Drive out again...
Benoit

Postby ill-intent » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:18 pm

I know I've said this before, but in my opinion, there are 3 reasons I didn't like PS3 (otherwise, I can say it wasn't a negative to play)<p>1- I agree the dialogue was simple. When 2 came out, the console RPG wasn't really that developed yet and so it's expected to be lacking. But 3 came out AFTER the concept of putting more dialogue in (or maybe it was just the larger memory in the later games.... whatever).<p>2- They tried WAY too hard to tie in stuff from the earlier games. Making Rika look the way she did (claws and so forth), the Nei weapons, the fact that Rhys was just Rolf in older style armour, etc.... you could've skipped it all and the story would've still worked. (probably better as it would show how far they've forgotten/strayed from their roots) It's like they knew they were doing a different story and threw it all in to say "Look, it's still Phantasy Star! See?" Actually, if they had made NO links in the beginning it would've made the ship revelation near the end SO much better as the entire game to that point would've left the players wondering why was this game a Phantasy Star.<p>3- Gameplay wise, I did not like the way the generations worked. Only Rika and Wren carried over. So what is the point of even trying to level or equip the earlier characters? They could have had the following characters continue at the same level or start with the same level of equipment. That way there would be motivation to actually CARE about the first 2 generations. <p> Again, I still like PS3. But it is, in my opinion, the worst of the set.
ill-intent

Postby Shell Presto » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:41 pm

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Dreamer</i><br>Another thing that I loved were the items. You can use certain equipment to heal your party in or out of battle. Example: You're stranded in the middle of the desert and most of your party is dead, and you have a Force Claw handy. You can use it to revive your members free of charge and TP!! I have a mostly complete list of usable items, if anyone cares to see it.<br></blockquote><p>Dreamer.... I'd really love it if you posted that list. (I have to play through PSIII at least two more times for my comic....)
Shell Presto

Postby Shell Presto » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:32 am

Thanks, Dreamer!! :D
Shell Presto

Postby LegoMuskCat » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:48 am

It's no problem... I'm just glad I could help! :)
LegoMuskCat

Postby Malakai » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:05 am

Wow, nice Dreamer. I'll have to write that down so I won't try and remember every time I play. -_-<p>Now, this is really a great thread with all these diverse opinions. There is much negatism about PSIII! This calls for a mighty rebuttal! Or something like that. <br>Now, I enjoy playing PSIII and will say it's a good RPG. Not a solid RPG nor a great RPG, but a _good_ RPG. Let's make the traditional listings now.<p>Dungeons and Overworld: to this day they are the easiest dungeons and overworld layout I have ever traversed and I was a little disappointed that they weren't the caliber that you find in PSI and PSII. The repetitive and simple layout don't offer much of a mental challenge. However, you have to get into the PS world like Sega did. Would the people who built the spaceships really bother to make fantascically complex passageways so that they couldn't remember how to get to the other world ships or that it took a long time to navigate them? Why would they make the worlds so that they couldn't find their way around with ease? And why wouldn't the towns be after the same pattern, even in the desert world? Consider this: 1) Everything in the PSIII world is MAN-MADE, so they would naturally make it as easy as possible to construct 2) Hazatak is right by the river, so they could have easily grown vegetation. And don't forget that when you visit the town of Rysel before the weather is fixed it IS covered in snow.<p>Battle: I didn't really like it since you don't get to see the characters ever attack and the enemies don't really move. The usually most exciting part of the game quickly became the most boring.<p>tech system: this was innovative. I liked how you could go to the tech shops and adjust your tech distribution, balancing the grids dependng on the generation or characters. It was like a foreshadowing for the materia system in a way. It works great, and you just have to experiment and be patient until you find a good way to balance them.<p>Music: I fell in love with it. I have some symphonic versions of some of the themes, and they're incredible.<p>Dialogue: It would have been nice if the characters had talked more when say, they came to a new world (I mean there should have been some kind of reaction when Rhys came out of that cavern to Aquatica for the first time). However, since I was 9 the first time I played it I didn't care about things like dialogue, and now I just use my imagination.<p>Generations/story: this was weird, and still is to me. I mean, after the first generation you 1) go off and fight Lune if you're Nial or 2) you go off and fight Siren if you're Ayn, but you're not both at once so what happens with Lune or Siren if you don't choose Ayn or Nial and so forth. It's kinda like a paradox and I would have preferred just ONE lineage with longer quests. I mean, when I played it the first time and saw that there was a choice of who you could marry, I thought back to how the Layans responded to Rhys' coming to their lands, and I thought there's no way I'm going to live among them, even if I'll be their king. And Ayn is such a pansie...<p>graphics and color scheme: the graphics were perfectly fine, and I liked the sprites and character portraits. The colors were a bit drab and dull, but they fit the setting because they're IN THE MIDDLE OF SPACE. There is no sun to enrich the worlds with it's unique energy and light.<p>That is all for now.
Malakai

Postby Lassic's Chllun » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:26 am

I agree wholeheartedly, Malakai. I was ot going to quote your entire post, but that would be a minor inconvinience (dont think i spelled that right)
Lassic's Chllun

PreviousNext

Return to Phantasy Star