Nei's weapons, really bars ?

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

Nei's weapons, really bars ?

Postby Nate556 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:10 am

I don't mean the really powerful ones at the end of the game, but the "bars" you buy for Nei to use. Is there something wrong with the translation, because when she attacks, they look more like claws. Did some genius in Sega change it or something ? All the art has Nei using claws, and never once have I seen a drawing of her holding bars as weapons. So, did they change claw to bar in the American release ?
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Good point

Postby Zucca » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 am

Good point. I've always connected bars to claws so it doesn't sound very odd to me.
Since I'm not expert on english language, maybe someone else can explain this "bar" word? Expect that it's a synonym for a pub. ;)
Wiktionary may help: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bar#Noun
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Nate556 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:19 pm

A bar is generally a small round and narrow piece of metal. Like, the monkey-bars. They do come in other shapes and sized. Like, a handle-bar on a brief case is U shaped, and not made of metal. And a bar of gold is square. But the kind of bars you use in fighting, think of a solid-steel pipe about 1-2 feet long and about as narrow as your thumb.

So, when I think bar, I am thinking of a striking/smashing object, not a slicing claw.
So what is your first language ? I notice a lot of people here seem to have other languages as a first. The only other language I can speak is a Native-American language that died out about 150 years ago. I also know a little japanese, but not enough to do anything with. I've been thinking about getting programs to learn both Hebrew and Japanese, but so far, I've not put any effort into it. I think I will make another topic about this!
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby thriwren » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Nate556 wrote:A bar is generally a small round and narrow piece of metal. Like, the monkey-bars. They do come in other shapes and sized. Like, a handle-bar on a brief case is U shaped, and not made of metal. And a bar of gold is square. But the kind of bars you use in fighting, think of a solid-steel pipe about 1-2 feet long and about as narrow as your thumb.

So, when I think bar, I am thinking of a striking/smashing object, not a slicing claw.
So what is your first language ? I notice a lot of people here seem to have other languages as a first. The only other language I can speak is a Native-American language that died out about 150 years ago. I also know a little japanese, but not enough to do anything with. I've been thinking about getting programs to learn both Hebrew and Japanese, but so far, I've not put any effort into it. I think I will make another topic about this!
Yes, but cannot a row of knives be mounted (welded) on a bar to make a claw like device?
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Nate556 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:10 pm

thriwren wrote:
Nate556 wrote:A bar is generally a small round and narrow piece of metal. Like, the monkey-bars. They do come in other shapes and sized. Like, a handle-bar on a brief case is U shaped, and not made of metal. And a bar of gold is square. But the kind of bars you use in fighting, think of a solid-steel pipe about 1-2 feet long and about as narrow as your thumb.

Yes, but cannot a row of knives be mounted (welded) on a bar to make a claw like device?

Totally possible. but i don't think Nei was into welding :p
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Zucca » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:57 pm

Nah... I belive she fought with gold bars! Gold is heavy material --> do more damage. Right? ;P
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby BenoitRen » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:01 pm

Just yet another translation goof to me.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Nate556 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 pm

Zucca wrote:Nah... I belive she fought with gold bars! Gold is heavy material --> do more damage. Right? ;P

Maybe she fought with candy bars ?
Nate556
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mono » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:46 pm

Nei's a gangsta thug with crowbars
SEGA owes me money!
Mono
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Heroic_Chaz » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:45 pm

Whoa... mental image... Nei... dual-wielding crowbars and beating Neifirst lifeless.
I wonder what people will see in the final days?
Heroic_Chaz
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Dr_Odin » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:08 am

Mono wrote:Nei's a gangsta thug with crowbars

or, Nei: 2Nei Shakur.
Dr_Odin
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby thriwren » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Heroic_Chaz wrote:Whoa... mental image... Nei... dual-wielding crowbars and beating Neifirst lifeless.
Gordan Freeman's perfect match?
Thriwren - Lvl 140 - Fortegunner lvl 20
thriwren
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby Heroic_Chaz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Hmm, Nei slaying face crabs... mmm... lol
I wonder what people will see in the final days?
Heroic_Chaz
Scorpius
Scorpius

Re: Nei's weapons, really bars ?

Postby zio_falz » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:07 pm

Think of a crow-bar. Claw-like, yes? Case closed.
zio_falz
Locusta
Locusta

Return to Phantasy Star