A long thousand year

Discuss anything related to the Phantasy Star series

A long thousand year

Postby Wosu » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:39 am

Althought PS is my favourite serie for everything (the way to play it, the story, the characters...) something keeps annoying: the fact that each story are separated by 1000 years.<p>I mean, if you compare the technologie... Us in the real world, within a hundred year we replaced the horse for travelling by airplanes going 50 times at least faster than horses, whereas in PS game, they didn't do any progress; they even got worse: In PSI for example, space travelling was a real coman thing, on the opposit in PSIII or IV, you're the only one able to travel by spaceship...<p>I am really happy that every PS game are linked to each other, that 's the best point making it better than other RPG where despite they have the same name, they have nothing in comman. But having a thousand year between each game might be a little too long.<p>PS<p>I am sorry for my english, these times I havn't had the opportunity to practise it a lot
Wosu

A long thousand year

Postby Benoit » Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:58 pm

Well, there's an explanation for this in the games, no?<br>PSII was very advanced compared to PSI.<br>PSIII isn't so advanced because of the war between Orakio and Laya.<br>PSIV is not advanced at all because of the fall of Mother Brain and the Great Collapse.
Benoit

A long thousand year

Postby Monocromatico » Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:06 pm

There´s also the fact that Dark Force causes havoc in the Palman civilization, throwing them into the dark ages at the end - or beginning - of each game. So any advancements are erased from Algol in each 1000 years.
Monocromatico

A long thousand year

Postby Wosu » Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:02 am

Yes that's true benoit, but still, even after those problems, they had the time to rebuild and make at least roads to connect cities, you know, like in PSI.<p>Know that you say it (PSII has the most developped technologie), I would love to see the world of PSII, big spacial corporation and everything. The sonic team could make a whole new game at the same time as PSII;<br>There are so many elements we could develop:<br>-Zelan and Kuran were built some time before or after PSII<br>-The Wren robot serie and Miun robot serie were also built at about PSII time<br>-Space travellers<br>And so much more.<br>It would be such a great game.<p>PS<p>I haven't studied seriously the chronologie of PS Serie so excuse me if I am making mistakes
Wosu

A long thousand year

Postby Goldark » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:50 am

Probably the tech level is PS series is one of the most coherent part of the timeline in my opinion. For example, I (one) had a tech level with limited interplanetary flight, energy weapons, and small projects of colonization. In II we see Motavia completely colonized, terraformed, in which everyone can live in luxury without working at all, an utopistic society, also computer were sentient (Daughter, Androids), BIG satellites were constucted in outer space that orbited the sun, and many more things I can't remember). 1000 years sound a resonable time to me for this gap in technology. IV sets things back to a tech level below the one seen in I (and below our ACTUAL tech level), and that's resonable, think about all the technology and lives that were lost, also energy sources like oil and uranium were surely depleted by the previous civilization, and energy play a BIG role in developing, think about the gap between, for example, 1500-1600 and 1900-2000.
Goldark

Return to Phantasy Star