Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby guru2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:36 pm

*edit* figures my post would be the one to start a new page =p quoted to include link
UniqueUserName wrote:
guru2 wrote:it would be nice to include the save file to revive nei somewhere in the homepage if you haven't done so already.

Here is the link to my post containing the Nei save file and PSG1 Clear-Data:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3175&p=57291#p57291

However, there are cons to what I quoted... for instance:
It might tempt people to rip themselves off from attempting it on their own... or possibly even skip completing the PSG1 requirement.
IMO leave it up to staff to decide if its a good idea (to offer it alongside the translation) or not... but Im cool with it either way.

Cool thanks for posting it. I don't think it should be included alongside the translation, but it would be nice to have it somewhere. Even the link you posted will be lost soon enough, once this thread continues. I actually thought at one point, there was an entire section for save files on the main page, but I don't see it so I might have just imagined that.

Anyways like you said it's not up to me to decide, but I do think it should be there somewhere. Not right next to the iso, since that would be tempting, but at least somewhere on the site. That way if someone decides they want to use it, they will have to look for it but at least it's there.

I can definitely say that I don't feel cheated, that was just way too much stuff to attempt to try and revive her, plus you couldn't do it on your first run. At least there is a guide for getting nei now, but there wasn't when I played the first release of the beta and I could just see myself having a rage fit after I found out I missed something lol.

TL;DR Thanks for the link lol. Image
guru2
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby UniqueUserName » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:49 pm

O I C ... If you are worried it will be lost, or hard to find, due to so many pages in this thread...
You can also find a link to it in the 3rd (last) post of the following thread as well:

"PSG2 Save State/File Request"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3524

guru2 wrote:that was just way too much stuff to attempt to try and revive her, plus you couldn't do it on your first run.

I think the reason the game was made that way, was so you could relax and enjoy your first play through while getting used to the new hotness...
Then once you had beaten it, there was an incentive to give it a second playthrough, which is pretty time consuming but challenging.
Basically, your only mission on the 2nd playthrough is to revive Nei.

(+[__]·:·) _____ [==_═══:]
_ P S P _________ P S 2 _
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby abcc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:37 am

Happy New Years , first 2017 post, 3 months into the new year, any new updates ? Would this be the year ??
:pray:
abcc
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby konsolen_karle » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:52 am

The freezing problem after the battle result is still there in beta 0.8.
konsolen_karle
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 pm

I just PMed Tryphon, so hopefully we will get an update soon.
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:00 am

Lord knows I want to finish this as much as you guys do. I might just try to get an OK from Kyence to update PSG:2's translation for everyone just so it's finished and over with. I think that, since PSG:2's main problem preventing it from being played on real hardware has basically been fixed for two years now, but was never implemented in an emergency update, we should focus on it first. That and PSG:1's problem is more daunting.

PSG:1's text side of things is pretty much done.

I do want to state, everyone, that I talked with Kyence when I was working on v2.20, and I want to say that there won't be an "original character names" version of either game. Sorry guys. But Kyence and Tryphon don't really have the time to make multiple versions anymore and I don't think there's a need for multiple editions myself.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:10 pm

SandyLandale wrote:I do want to state, everyone, that I talked with Kyence when I was working on v2.20, and I want to say that there won't be an "original character names" version of either game. Sorry guys. But Kyence and Tryphon don't really have the time to make multiple versions anymore and I don't think there's a need for multiple editions myself.

A demand has been shown from myself and others for original names. Does it really take that much more effort to change a couple of names in a script, especially with editing tools like Notepad++? I'm not sure what tools you use; I used Notepad++ when editing my portion of the PSG2 translation, and find/replace was quite useful for mass name replacing. If you're not going to do it, at least share what tools you use so someone (not necessarily me, though I'll give it a shot) can.
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 am

While I do understand that there's a demand for it, I think the main reason we decided against it all is that, well, the games are playable and it's not like we made arbitrary changes. The bigger concerns are keeping the lore, terms, and grammar consistent, as well as fixing the two major bugs that prevent people from being able to play on real hardware.

But as for you signing on to make another patch--actually, that might work really well. I think graphics creation, hacking, and insertion would be your only concern, but last I spoke with Tryphon, he had made graphics for Alis, Odin, and Noah's names. That means we'd just have to get whoever made the original menu graphics for PSG:2 (I think that was also Tryphon?) to make your some new character names. I think the menus only use first names.

We'd have to talk to Tryphon and Kyence more, but on my side of things, I'd be on board with you making an "original-flavored patch." I just personally don't think that it's worth my own time, and I hope that you guys understand that.

Edit - Sorry, just caught the "not necessarily you" part of that. It'd be pretty simple for someone to make an "original-flavored patch" regardless. But the main team is not going to pursue it.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Volcannon » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Well, I hope that someone has enough interest to make another version of it with the original character names, because it would probably influence me enough to download it.

P.S. No offense to the creators of the fan translation of course, they made an awesome translation, but I grew up with Rolf, Rudo, Amy, Hugh, Anna, Kain and Shir.
Volcannon
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Shinto-Cetra » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:47 pm

SandyLandale: I actually said "(not necessarily me, though I'll give it a shot)" basically I will try but I am not an expert with hacking. So I make no guarantees. Just PM me links to the information/software you use, and I will give it a shot.

I sent another PM to Tryphon, as it's been over a week.
Shinto-Cetra
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby TheSegaDude » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:42 pm

Hey all!

I'm just popping in to say I'm still very interested in a patch for the item drop bug for PSG2.
I still really want to play this beautiful translation on my Playstion 2! :D

I hope everyone is doing well!
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 pm

As am I, and to be honest, I'm still not quite sure why an emergency bug fix patch wasn't released back in 2015 when Tryphon figured out how to fix it. :)
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby TheSegaDude » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:34 pm

Did he figure out how exactly to fix it or was it just the problem of random item drops being identified as the problem?
Either way, I'm still really keen to play this gem!
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby abcc » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:37 am

I guess its not going to come out anytime soon, had high hopes when promised 2 summers ago. I guess the exitment is fading away.
abcc
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Missagh » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:38 am

The update will be released as soon as the team gains the time to piece it together. There have been a lot of reports posted on this thread and some of which may take some time to address.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff