Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Blaw- » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:04 pm

I don't remember to have ever got an item drop, either using PCSX2 or a real PS2 (french and english versions).

I didn't even know it was possible to get some items drops xD

About the PS2 test, I skipped a lot of battles so it mean explain it, but at the beginning of the game, you can't skip a lot of battles (before you get the right item to avoid them) so I still did a fair enough number of battles.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:00 pm

I think I've found the random number generator.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby TheSegaDude » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:09 am

Sweet! You're mov'in fast :)

And thanks again for working so hard on this.
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Blaw- » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:45 am

It would be nice if the random crashs were because of that, as it would mean it could be fixed :)

(The crashs might not occur on PCSX 2 because the emulation doesn't have a 1:1 accuracy).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Runehasa » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Just a heads up I have gone through both ps3 and pcsx2 emulator playthrough's and I have not experienced and crashing and in fact the only minor glitch i seen was with the Dezolians. When they walk they seem to change colors each time they switch direction. Either than that things look and played amazing
Runehasa
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby TheSegaDude » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:25 am

Runehasa wrote:Just a heads up I have gone through both ps3 and pcsx2 emulator playthrough's and I have not experienced and crashing and in fact the only minor glitch i seen was with the Dezolians. When they walk they seem to change colors each time they switch direction. Either than that things look and played amazing

Hi Runehasa,

During your play throughs are you getting random items drops after combat?
That is, on occasion after beating some monsters do you received a monomate or some other item that gets added to your inventory?
Or, do you only ever receive meseta (money) and experience after combat?
Sega Dude
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Klon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:04 am

I have gone through both ps3 and

?
Klon
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:03 am

PS3 console...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:54 am

He packaged a PS3 version of the translation, so people who are interested in it can contact him (but now that the translation is released, it could also be released directly as a link on the forum/on PSCave, might be better for everyone, especially if the PS3 version doesn't have the random freeze problems, it might interest some people who want to play on a console, as PS2/PS3 controller is basically the same, it's like playing on the orginal system).

The japanese games were available on the PSN as PS2 classic and so they are backward compatible with the PS3, and so translated versions are also compatible (basically, the PS2 Classics games are just the original ISO of a game and an emulator bundled into a single PS3 PSN game).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Just to say that I was busy fixing a bug in Generation 1 (fixed, wooh :) ) so I didn't have time to cope with Generation 2.

I plan to hack the game so that an item will be drop in every battle (the hardest part I think). If I succeed, I'll upload a hacked version to test with a real PS2. So we'll be able to confirm that's the cause of the freezes.

Then I'll fix it (should be easier).
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby TheSegaDude » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:30 am

I'd be happy to help test the hacked version with a drop after every battle. But I'm out of town from Friday night until Tuesday night this weekend.
I'm sure others can help test but I'll get on it as soon as I can if it's still needed by then.

I'm curious what's the bug fix you're working on for PSG1? :)
What a ton of fun it was to finally play that game!
Sega Dude
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby guru » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:19 pm

I can confirm I've been getting item drops on pcsx. I was doing some tests for item creation because my results are way different than the item creation guide which I'll post results sometime later. But was doing bug squashing and after like 250+ battles I had 5 monomates that weren't there before. No errors on log and I didn't notice anything that said I got an item... but I was not paying attention =/. Also I'm working on the dams right now and no crashes so far on pcsx 1.2.1 and I'm using the pre-patched beta that is posted on the psg2 page not the hiei version.
guru
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:30 pm

TheSegaDude wrote:I'm curious what's the bug fix you're working on for PSG1?
What a ton of fun it was to finally play that game!

He's working on a bug I found where the Soundtrack Player (PS1 ALBUM) menu has some disappearing track titles. The alpha test of PS generation:1's v2.10 translation update is done, as said in Kyence's PS gen:1 thread. All that's left is the beta test. :D
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:55 pm

I think I've found some things about items drops.

1) It seems that only some battle formations can drop items, and when they do, it's always the same item.

2) I tweaked the game so that when a battle formation can give an item, it always does. I also tweaked the game so that every ennemy miss their attacks, and so that the damages you make are huge.

3) There's a bug in the routine displaying battle stats : it doesn't compute well the position of the item dropped, so you can't see the item name. On the picture below, the item name should be in the red box :

Here's a patched SLPM file with the tweaks described in 2. Replace yours in the ISO with this one (make a copy before). If the crashes are related to items drops, this ISO should crash much more frequently. If this is the case, I've good reasons to think that fixing 3 would fix the crashes.

Link to the patched zipped SLPM file : http://we.tl/RrLP11mXbN

Please report your crahes :)
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby mziab » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:16 am

Well, this pretty much confirms it. With the modified binary I get consistent crashes after battle. Out of four battles I had three crashed. One probably had a formation with no item drops.
mziab
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff