Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby stavstav » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:03 am

Great work I am super exited to play this! Thank you for your work!

I noticed in your notes that you changed ALOT of names and spell names from the genesis version.

Just one request, please can you release a version of this with all ORIGINAL (north american genesis) names, I prefer it that way. Thanks :D
stavstav
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby darkwraith007 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:19 am

Would appreciate a status update on this.
-Is the crash bug fixed? Is the download on the pscave download area (v0.8) the latest version available?
-I'd also like to request a 'Genesis Names' version AFTER the actual translation has been fully bug-fixed and released to at least v1.0

I feel like I'd want to help test this on my 'fat' PS2 using burned media but the problem has been that I lack the 'Swap Magic' to do the job properly.

EDIT: End of March Update Requested please O_O
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby UniqueUserName » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 am

It has been a while since any updates so I thought I would leave a little SPOILER-candy to get you through until the next update... Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------------
Mother Brain (easiest defeat)

Anne=
1st round: Saschneller= all perm agility
2nd round: Saschutz= all perm defense
every few rounds after: Snow Crown item (casts all D-wand)

Silka=
1st round: Snow Crown
all other rounds: defend or skill

Huey and Silka DEFEND for 2 turns=
Sulfur and Tornado skill EVERY 3rd turn.

Each inflicts decent damage as well as paralyzes biologicals.

----------------------------------------------------
MB sleeps most of the round. lol.

I didn't give the females weapons from the start...
...and when I found out (in turn 3) that Sulfur would actually work on her, I took Huey's weapons away too.
So everyone but Eusis was on auto-defend.

Figured this out on my first play-through before I resurrected Nei, but even though I hinted at it on here before, I wanted to give everyone else a spoiler-free first-run.

To those that missed it...
My Nei resurrection savefile is attached @:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3175&p=57291#p57291

I hope it was worth the wait... Enjoy!
(+[__]·:·) _____ [==_═══:]
_ P S P _________ P S 2 _
UniqueUserName
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:49 am

Huey's skill Sulfur actually works on all enemies, and it has a chance to paralyze robots too. Kyence mistakenly gave it a biological-affecting tech icon. Conversely, Keinz's Explosive Touch has a fire tech icon, but it only affects machines. I've pointed this out earlier in this topic.

Someday I'll have a computer I feel confident enough to play games on again, and I'll hopefully get to weeding out the rest of these kinds of issues...

Edit 1 - Actually, screw it, I'm going to get back to it now.

Edit 2 - Found some awkward linebreaks. The flashing "Press O" prompt covers some of the text. I would recommend splitting the entire sentence "People aren't exaggerating when they say the chances of escaping from here are next to nil..." to the second page.

Also, there are some small issues with Rudger and Eusis' "introduction to Gaira" texts.

There should be a linebreak after "Argh!" to prevent the spaces from being at the start of Eusis' next sentence:

And same here. The lines, "No! I will not wait here to be put down like a dog!" should be linebroken to prevent the spaces from appearing in front of the word "No":

I was going to check everyone's unique text here, but I just realized that everyone probably has unique text when checking Gaira's controls out, too. I am not going through Gaira seven times, I'm sorry. I advise you to look over the text though and be sure it's typo-free. Light formatting issues like Rudger and Eusis' up there are fine, but it would be prudent to check for typos.

I wonder where else in the game there are specific texts for if Eusis is dead.

Finally made it home and I'm about to call this session over for the day, but I've found two spillovers with viewing item descriptions in Eusis' house.

The first is with the Maruera Gum:

The second is with the Green Sleeve:
Last edited by SandyLandale on Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:33 am

darkwraith007 wrote:Would appreciate a status update on this.
-Is the crash bug fixed? Is the download on the pscave download area (v0.8) the latest version available?
-I'd also like to request a 'Genesis Names' version AFTER the actual translation has been fully bug-fixed and released to at least v1.0

I feel like I'd want to help test this on my 'fat' PS2 using burned media but the problem has been that I lack the 'Swap Magic' to do the job properly.

EDIT: End of March Update Requested please O_O

Tryphon answered here about the update : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3175&p=57626#p57626

And it's not just for the english version, the french version is also not fixed yet. But it's not a big bug, as the game is fully playable on PCSX2. Of course, it'll be better when it'll also work properly on the real hardware, but there's nothing more to do than wait. I guess it'll be fixed during the summer, as Tryphon is a professor of mathematics, and so this part of the year is always pretty busy for him, with the corrections of the exams before the summer.

At the beginning of the translation, the game wouldn't even work at all on the real hardware, so it's already a miracle to only have freeze on real hardware when the enemy drop items.

What everyone wanted the most was the translation, it's now released and fully playable on PCSX2.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:03 am

More issues to report.

Edit 2 - This edit wad made after I beat the game already. There were some enemy names I failed to report because I noticed Chi had already reported them earlier in the topic. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3175&p=57471#p57497

The Rascally Monkey's name spills out of the text box. Tryphon's suggested fix for these issues is to just insert lowercase letters into the enemy name font, which I concur with.

The punctuation is on another line here! Either removing an "n" from this musk cat's "nnnnneed" or moving "Hat" onto the next line are my suggestions.

What you're not seeing here is that the flashing "Press O" prompt is perfectly covering the word "to". My suggestion would be to move the entire sentence starting with "In light of this new information ..." to another box.

There's a couple of things wrong with this one. First, years were previously established with the "123 AW" way of writing it. Secondly, the flashing "Press O" prompt covers up part of the "d" of "and".

There's a missing space before the [important] icon here.

This Dezorian has a minor formatting error like some earlier ones; moving the line starting with "Did Dezoris ever mean ..." to its own separate line would be best.

Police Inspector's name runs out of the box.

Edit 1 - I'm about to do the four towers with the Nei equipment in them, so there's not going to be much more on my end aside from maybe more enemy name spillover issues. For now, here's the latest victim, Dezorian Mammoth.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:21 pm

For the names which are too long, either use lowercase, yes, or it could also work with a line break (so displaying the name in two lines, but I guess the first method will be easier).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby TheSegaDude » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:47 am

@SandyLandale

Thanks as always for your work and posting these new issues. You've put in a huge effort into this game!
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:46 pm

I'm just playin' along casually like the rest of you, and pointing out what I find with my little designer's eye.

I have some more spillovers that I may as well report while I'm posting...

Chaos Sorcerer and Death Inverter.

Edit 1 - I have another question! How come all of the male's armor (Armor, Chestplate, Harnisch) use the [chestplate] icon? I know an [armor] icon exists, because I used it for Generation:1. Shouldn't the Armors and Harnisches use the [armor] icon instead of [chestplate]?

Edit 2 - There appears to be some inconsistency on whether or not the word "okay" is spelled "OK" or "okay". For example, Hapsby spells it "Okay" when you tell him that you don't want to fly to Dezoris, but a lot of other lines seem to use the spelling "OK". I would recommend looking over the files to be sure only one spelling is used.

I know this was, like, the first thing ever reported, but don't forget about fixing up this enemy's name! :)

Whoopsie-doopsie! That should say "By Tajim's light, ..." :P

Lastly--whew!--I'm unsure if this was due to my emulator settings or not, but the credits look kind of weird.

The "E" of Eriko Yagi's name and Executive Producer looks more like a bracket. [riko Yagi, [xecutive Producer... Anyway, though it may be my own fault, I decided I should report it anyway.

Thanks for the superb translation, guys. Can't wait for it to be out of beta and work out all those lingering issues. :)

Edit 3 - I also wanted to point out again that the Skills Sulfur and Revenge, as well as seemingly the spell Megiddo, are non-elemental. I'm making a non-elemental magic icon for Phantasy Star Generation:1, and I would recommend adding it to Phantasy Star Generation:2.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby SandyLandale » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:37 am

Ah, I found something else. In addition to the weapon and element strings of the ECM notice being swapped, if a weapon name is too long, it makes the text box run off the screen.

My suggestion would be to retool it like this: (Note that in this instance, the "!" is filling in for the item icon.)

"![Weapon] gaining [element] element
costs [number] meseta. Proceed?"

For example, this screenshot's text would become:

"!Laconian Dagger gaining Thunder element
costs 3680 meseta. Proceed?"

And I found an inconsistency, too. The Ice element is called "Water" at the elemental selection menu.

Another issue with the Poison graphic--if Rudger gets poisoned, the first part of "POIS" gets covered up. Maybe you could just make this into a bottle icon with some bubbles over it, or a skull and crossbones icon to prevent the issues of spelling it out?
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby SandyLandale » Thu May 05, 2016 9:18 pm

I started my second playthrough so I can begin writing my walkthrough and I've found even more. I think either I had decided not to report these my first time around or hadn't noticed them, but hey, may as well report them now. Writing a walkthrough for a game as vast as this is pretty tedious, so expect the reports to be sporadic. (And expect the walkthrough to not be done for awhile.)

Since the kid is claiming ownership of them there and not referring to the titles as names, "dad" and "mom" don't need to be capitalized here.

The phrase is "peace of mind" here. "Piece of mind" is used as in "I'm going to give him a piece of my mind!"

EDIT: I ACTUALLY LEARNED THAT THIS IS ALREADY CORRECT GRAMMAR! PLEASE IGNORE! This should either say "It's in complete shambles ..." or "It's a complete shamble ..." Also, there are two spaces after the term "Dynamite" instead of just one.

This one is super petty, but "Will you? Eusis!" only has a single space between the question mark and Eusis' name. It should be double-spaced to keep consistency with the rest of the script.

Only two periods used here when there should be three to make an ellipsis.

There probably isn't much more, honestly.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Fri May 06, 2016 12:41 pm

For the credits, it's because of the emulator settings. It's the decinterlace function (F9, if I remember right).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Sat May 07, 2016 1:01 am

That's exactly what I thought, but like I said, I figured I should report it anyway. :)

This NPC Hannah / Hanna has two different spellings for her name

Nei's ellipsis here has two periods where there should be three.

Missing a space after the comma here.

I doubt there's much more, but you never know. I'm doing a Nei revival quest, so I'm bound to see more text than I did last time.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby InfernalFangirl » Sun May 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi there!
I was really excited to see that PS2G2 had been translated. I've run into problems with the ISO file though. I don't know if there's instructions to get around this, but if so I couldn't find them so my apologies.
I downloaded the ISO and tried burning it to disc and got the message that it was an invalid ISO file. I thought maybe the download was bad so I tried it again and had the same result. Then I thought that maybe it was a quirk of doing it on OSX so I tried it on a Windows machine and had the same issue. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong...any suggestions?
InfernalFangirl
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SandyLandale » Tue May 10, 2016 5:02 am

I wish I could help you, InfernalFangirl, but this isn't my area of expertise. I'm sure someone will be around soon to help you out. :) You're burning the game to CD, not DVD, right? As far as I remember, you would need a DVD-converted version of the game to burn it to DVD.

More things to report.

Extra spaces before the sentences "I truly believed ..." and "It's the most plausible ..."

The location name AMeDAS should be in green here, and it's not.

Item description spillover.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff