Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby BenoitRen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:49 pm

darkwraith007 wrote:Apparently, even SEGA (and Sony) go out of their way to use emulators to replay the older games for re-releases and such.

That's very old news. I think the earliest known instance is the Sega Smash Pack for PC. Steve Snake, author of KGen and Kega, got contacted by Sega to work on it.

What Sony does is really sleazy, though. Not to mention illegal. They could be sued, because PCSX2 is licensed under the GPL.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Verun » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:34 am

Hey. Any news on the English translation? Or is this maybe even the wrong place for updates on that?
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:59 pm

I don't have precise news but it's still in progress. The las time I got precise news about it, Kyence had translated 30% of the script (two months ago).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby jubily_ » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:52 pm

skymandr wrote:
Blaw- wrote:https://twitter.com/phoenix_rie

Seems to be her.

I asked her (it is her), and got a reply, though not the one I was expecting, nor the one I was hoping for. My question was: "How would you write Daaku Farusu in English?" [0], to which she replied "I believe it should be written Dark Falz". [1] The wording she used, however, was the polite and cautious way of expressing ones opinion, which may either just be politeness or may mean that she really just means it as an plausible alternative.

Since Twitter doesn't give you much chance at being elaborate (even in Japanese, where you can fit twice as long sentences due to the writing system) my questions was a little too vague (I really regret not giving Dark Force and Dark Falz as options!!! ), and the answer also, for me to be entirely satisfied. Therefore I asked for a clarification: "Does this mean that, in your opinion, Dark Force is a mistranslation." [2] Unfortunately, I've not received a reply to this, and since some time has passed I guess I will not. I may try again, or if anyone else wants to, please go ahead -- she seems to appreciate fan-contact.

As I've said above, I've also tried contacting the person who wrote the article in the Magazine, but so far no luck there.

So, back to square one..?

---
Original Japanese:
[0]: My first question: すみません@phoenix_rie先生!私はスエーデンPhantasyStar-fanです。翻訳の質問があります:ダークファルスは英語でどのように書きますか?[Excuse me Kodama-sensei! I am a Swedish fan of Phantasy Star. I have a translation question: How is Daaku Farusu written in English?]
[1]: Kodama-sensei's reply: こんにちわ!Dark Falz だと思います!よろしくお願いします![Good day! Dark Falz I believe! Pleasure to make your axquaintance!]
[2]: My request for clarification: よろしくお願いします!お答有難うございます!その場合、@phoenix_rie 先生の見解で Dark Force は誤訳と思いますか? [My pleasure! Thank you very much for your answer! In that case, is it your opinion that Dark Force is a mistranslation?]

Well, we can't expect Phoenix Rie to say "Phallus" in her Tweeter Account or on an interview for western audiences =)

Judging by the two contradictory answers from her I suppose Rie always tells the translations that SoA gave until now. If someone asks La Sheik‘s Romanization I’m pretty sure the given answer would be ”Lassic”, like they did on track 15 and 37 of WM-091~4 PS album… they don’t try to Romanize from the original Japanese any more, they try to adapt what the overseas already have/know.

I can't say we went back to square one by her reply, because while she was the director she is not PS Staff as a whole (PS team is not a single entity, they are various people so she is not the entire team). For instance, I remember that Yoshibon (also director) wanted Nei in PSIV, but the rest of the team didn't agree, the same way the staff didn't agree with his Rui's story although drew it anyway. It was his idea and he is the director, but it can't be considered official, because one party member is not the entire PS Team and the statements has to be given through officially media.

As stated ダークファルス (Dākufarusu) could either be "Dark Phallus", "Falz", "Farse" (this last one was never used). The problem is because it sounds awkward to us westerns we want avoid "phallus", although it might actually be the official Romanization, because so far it was the only one given through official media (see the official PS Character Setting Collection book) and even reached the PSIV US ver. through dark forces enemies like “Pro[to]phallus” or “Siam Shizulabrum” (shizu=silent / labrum=genitalia).
jubily_
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby HeroicOne » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Thanks for spending time translating these great games. Looking forward to playing gen 2 in english, keep up the good work!
HeroicOne
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 am

Hi!

I just joined because I'm interested in game localisation and a friend of mine pointed me here. Is it too late to help with the translating/localisation?

I've never done game localisation before, but it's something I've followed a lot over the years via articles in things like EDGE magazine, various websites, and podcasts like 8-4 Play, the now defunct Bionic Commando podcast, etc.

My credentials are:

Level 1 JLPT, a degree in Japanese and Japanese Culture and 15 years living in Japan. Oh, I've done a few translations professionally, too

TBH, I don't know much about the original 4 PS games, but I've always wanted to know because I sunk at least 600 hours into PSO on Dreamcast back in the day. If I had Windows, I'd probably be playing PSO2, as well! :lol: I figure this would be a great opportunity to learn about the games that started it all whilst contributing to a community. :whistle:

So... can I help at all?
Last edited by SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Tryphon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:25 am

You should contact Kyence, her e-mail must be on her profile here.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:36 pm

Will do, thanks :)
SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Snorb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:54 pm

Jubily: If Phoenix Rie says "Dark Falz," then I think that would be pretty much Word of God! (Besides, PSO uses Dark Falz. =p)
Snorb
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Verun » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:38 pm

To me it will always be Dark Force - no matter what any translation says. Makes more sense in the context too in my opinion.

But whatever the translation will be in the end: I will certainly love to play generation 2 after so many years! Can't wait! :O
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Tryphon » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:32 pm

I share the same opinion :)

And in case of, I'll release the hacking tool along with the game so you'll be able to build your own patch.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby xrick » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:52 pm

I've always prefered Dark Falz and I think they did it right by PSO's time.
I hate overlocalizations, most of times it ruins the context of games' stories...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Kyence » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi, everyone, just a quick update. I am over 50% done with the event files, but I've gotten into a bit of health trouble. I have severe vertigo and dizziness for weeks now that has kept me from work and doing anything with words for long periods of time. I'm undergoing testing so that the problem can be identified and treated.

SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX, I sent you a private message a while back with my email address.

I'm very sorry for the delay.
Kyence
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Verun » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:21 am

Kyence wrote:Hi, everyone, just a quick update. I am over 50% done with the event files, but I've gotten into a bit of health trouble. I have severe vertigo and dizziness for weeks now that has kept me from work and doing anything with words for long periods of time. I'm undergoing testing so that the problem can be identified and treated.

SupaHairyMonkyBalzDX, I sent you a private message a while back with my email address.

I'm very sorry for the delay.

No need to be sorry for things you're not responsible for. I hope you get well soon, and please take all the time you need and don't rush it.
Verun
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby taelusramza » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:07 pm

I'd actually also be happy to help out with translating the text. PS is my first love amongst game series' and probably part of the reason I pursued Japanese as far as I have. I shall send forth a PM!
taelusramza
Pinchant
Pinchant

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff