Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Shinuzzo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:29 am

There's a lot more text than the Genesis version so you wouldn't be able to rely on the English script for the original too much.
Shinuzzo
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby bluezeak » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:04 am

I'm a long time fan of the Phantasy Star Games. I actually didn't know about the remakes until recently - was initially very excitted ... and immediately saddened when I saw they weren't released, nor would they be released, here.

Then I read about this project! VERY exciting! :D I'm a sys admin and into networking - but have no translation nor coding skills :(.

Anyway - thank you all for your hard work. I look forward to the day I can play the English translation of the remake!
bluezeak
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby Runehasa » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:57 pm

Any chance you guys can plug Dark wraith into the translation portion of this project. He seems ready willing and most importantly eager to bang it out and get it done. Those of us in the community that are waiting patiently for this translation would be more than grateful !!
Runehasa
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:24 pm

Dark Wraith?
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tryphon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:48 pm

He sent me a pm. The decision is all up to Kyence though.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Manji » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:09 pm

Darth Faltz? :B

What's up translators, just wanted to give another shout out in appreciation for all your hard work!~
I'm still super-pumped for this and I know that's true for a lot of people!

Thanks guys!

manji
Manji
Pinchant
Pinchant

Postby darkwraith007 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:42 pm

I don't know Japanese. But I can do a rough translation from French to English. I don't get why we have to sit and wait months without a word for Kyence to do something.
The worst part of these romhacking communities tends to be the politics involved on who wants to get credit.

Tell you what. You all can take 100% credit for the final English product. Don't credit me at all, fair enough? I just want it DONE already >_>
Please and thank you. Send the french script or upload it to a website for the community to contribute translation all together. Whatever works for you.
Kyence owns the (current in progress) English translation. She doesn't own your French translation. I don't get what the deal is as they are obviously too busy with other stuff to finish this.
Fans have waited long enough. I don't care at all about credit. I just want it DONE. Thanks.

I'll be playing through the current French version to get an idea on what to translate, but it shouldn't be too much hassle and it is something that can be done in a week, dedicating at least 2-3 hours a day.
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:26 pm

I think you didn't understand me very well. It is not a problem about who is credited or not (this idea is quite laughable :) ).

Kyence helped us a lot with both hacking and french translation, she may see another translation concurrent to hers quite badly. Judging by your last words, I think you greatly underestimate the amount of work this translation needed.

Or she may not. I don't know, that's why I asked you to ask her. Did you at least contact her ?

I'll be playing through the current French version to get an idea on what to translate, but it shouldn't be too much hassle and it is something that can be done in a week, dedicating at least 2-3 hours a day.

Definetely not, unless you want to make dirty job (and even in this case, it's quite dubious). Let alone the fact that you'll need to learn how to use my program to make your version once the script translated.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby darkwraith007 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:04 am

Tryphon wrote:I think you didn't understand me very well. It is not a problem about who is credited or not (this idea is quite laughable ).

Kyence helped us a lot with both hacking and french translation, she may see another translation concurrent to hers quite badly. Judging by your last words, I think you greatly underestimate the amount of work this translation needed.

Or she may not. I don't know, that's why I asked you to ask her. Did you at least contact her ?

Definetely not, unless you want to make dirty job (and even in this case, it's quite dubious). Let alone the fact that you'll need to learn how to use my program to make your version once the script translated.

I wish I was able to be nicer here. I don't want to seem ungrateful or upset at the lack of progress, but there are many fans who have been waiting well over half a year for any sign of progress. No posts, no updates, nothing.
No I haven't gotten in touch with Kyence. Her absence from posting in these forums is proof enough that she is busy with r/l stuff and does not have the time to work on it. It is a translation done in her spare time. I GET THAT.

My point is, you and I and Kyence, our duty is to do what is best for the fans.
I frankly don't give a damn if Kyence's ego is bruised by having 'another translation concurrent to hers'. Her ego and her desires are not what my focus is. My focus is on what the fanbase wants and needs right NOW, not a year or two from now. PSO2 is still fresh in the minds of many fans (especially with a fully-english version playable on SEA if you can get an account made). NOW is the time to strike while the fanbase still exists. Because when Kyence gets time to finish will there even be many fans left? They'll have moved on and there will be maybe a handful of 'thank you' posts at most. It'll be a drop of water in the sea of new games.

My desire is for ALL Phantasy Star fans to be able to have something playable in English (or Engrish if needed). It won't be perfectly polished but at least one damn 'alpha' release will be better than the zero releases for 6+ months. It will be SOMETHING. Something tangible and legible.

As for you, you misunderstood my request. I asked for the French script to be sent to me. I'd translate that into English as best I could (as a rough draft) and your team would be the ones to reinsert it into the game (since you made the tools and you know how to use them best). I could do testing or we could enlist some testers on the forum.

It troubles me greatly that the ego of romhackers has to be more important than the needs and desires of the fan community here.
Maybe you know Kyence better than I do, but I'm sure if they were here (and busy with r/l stuff as I expect) then they'd not want us to sit around for months and wait on them to take action. Maybe they're sick of working on it; maybe they realize doing yet another huge RPG after the lackluster praise from the Gen1 was a waste of time. Who knows? Because they sure as hell aren't posting here to let ANYONE know what is going on with them. It has been that way for quite some time.

The fact is that it isn't up to Kyence. The French translation is yours and all I'm asking for is the script, not the tools used to reinsert it. Alrighty?
I even mentioned that the French script could be posted publically so that the entire community can get a look at helping to translate it.

If this is too much to ask for then please just refuse and be done with it rather than give us false hope.
Take care.
darkwraith007
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Tryphon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:38 am

Please contact Kyence.

I don't think it's too much to ask, her email is on her profile.

I won't repeat myself, I think I've understood your views. Let me just say I don't like your rhetoric at all : you try to oppose 2 groups, the fans (in the name of which you speak. Which authority gave you this right ?) and the romhackers, which is just plain stupid because :

1) we are part of the fans : kyence and I were far before we only thought about translating the games
2) none of us (except Hiei-) did any romhacking before, and we learnt everything about it with the only purpose to translate these games for fans

Discussion is over for me, until you contact Kyence.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby BenoitRen » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 am

The fan base has been a crawling corpse for almost a decade now, and PSO2 hasn't changed that. It has been waiting for a translation for many years as it is. It can wait a couple more.
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby Blaw- » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:09 pm

I don't think the problem is the ego, just that it would be better to contact her because it can save you some work anyway (as a part of it is already done) and also the fact you said you want to do a "rough work" (and that's probably the main problem I think).

And maybe she'll say yes, who knows? I think it cost nothing to contact her.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Runehasa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:47 pm

As a loyal fan I am in agreement with darkWraith. He seems to be more than willing to help and is very vocal about it. We have been waiting a really long time for this without any updates on progress or if it is even still in the works. I am grateful for all the work already put into it but if someone is willing to take the reigns and give it the final push that it needs please let him help. You will be doing yourself along with everyone else here a tremendous favor. Let's finish this while our consoles are still working and able to play it lol
Runehasa
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Blaw- » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:52 am

Could be already settled if he would contact Kyence, like Tryphon said.

Other problem is to see if he's willing to put enough work in it to release a good translation. Both Tryphon and me can read english and french and so will be able to judge if the work looks like a rough one or not. 2-3 hours per day, during a week (so ~15 hours), seems a bit short to do the translation. The game contains ~500kb of text, and I don't think Tryphon will be agree to release it if it feel very rushed.

But as he seems to lazy to do it, I conntacted Kyence myself and send her a link to this thread, so now, just need to wait a bit.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Blaw- » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Kyence answered and seem okay to let other people finish the job (which will be easier than restarting from scratch).

I think she'll post here soon or contact you directly.
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff