Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

How should the main characters be named in Generation:2 ?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:51 am

Use the full Japanese names
38%
Use the English Sega Genesis names
55%
It doesn't matter
7%

Total votes : 73

Re: Phantasy Star Generation 2: English Translation

Postby Blaw- » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Tryphon wrote:I'm waiting for the final version of the script by Kyence and Hiei- to build the final version. Thanks to all for having tested

I don't think I have anything to do for the final english version? (just did the patch for the beta version, Kyence did the rest), except if you mean for the french version (but if it's that, I already posted about it on our forums).
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Missagh » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Please don't forget to send me a PM and allow me a day or two to put together the updated pages for release. Cheers all!

EDIT:

For people who are following the PSG2 thread, we just released the 2.10 version of Phantasy Star Generation: 1 English translation. There are a lot of improvements! Please read the info under Game Versions.
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby SandyLandale » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:56 am

Quick question! Why do all of the knives use the [scalpel] icon and not the [knife] icon? I know a [knife] icon exists, I used it in Phantasy Star generation:1. Also, Keinz's Explosive Touch skill appears to be an ability that only affects machines, yet it has the [fire] icon and not the anti-machine tech icon. Why is this?

In addition to my previous report, I've caught another small issue. I decided to test out the ECMs for a little bit, and I found this.
Apply the element Dagger to the weapon Water... uh-huh...

Also, there's a missing space after this comma here.

The graphic for "POISON" appears to run into the level numbers.

Found a spillover issue with the Ceramic Scale's description.

Also, the words "Element:" and "Wind" in Silka's Skill Tornado overlap.

The "Press O" prompt covers up part of this NPC's text. Since the prompt flashes intermittently, it's not that big of an issue, but it still doesn't look that great, either. I would just move "It doesn't matter, we'll probably never learn the truth." to the second page, personally.

Some enemy names spill out of the allotted space! (Look in the "command" window at the bottom-center of the screen.) I'll be updating with all the names I catch.
Last edited by SandyLandale on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Klon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Ok. What is this person trying to say?
Klon
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby xrick » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:43 pm

It must be after the party has broken into the four dams.
You probably returned to Motabia after having gone to Dezolis? I don't quite remember now...
Looking for supporters of SEGA finishing & localising PSTrilogy: http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?404512-Phantasy-Star-Generation-Trilogy-Misc-Stuff
xrick
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby guru » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:58 pm

I think they say it right after climate control because mother brain blames the disaster on you. That's why all the robots are after you too.

It's funny I never noticed any of that stuff =p sorry guys I only noticed like 2-3 errors and they were already posted. Guess you gotta be a game hacker to really notice most of this stuff. I was probably enjoying the game too much though =] maybe i'll notice more on my second play through but you guy's will probably beat me to it by then lol.
guru
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby TheSegaDude » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:11 pm

@SandyLandale

You're doing an amazing job spotting these outstanding issues! I'm really happy that there are people like you on the job! Thank you :D
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks, TheSegaDude! :) The enemy name font is a really vexing to me, because I have no idea how Kyence could easily fix it. I made a mock-up of how it could look if the font was slimmed by two pixels each character with the longest name here, Grass Slaughterer, and it would fit within the space, but I don't know how readable it would be on an actual CRT TV.

Oh, and everyone, please be sure to vote in the Phantasy Star generation:1 spell names topic if you have yet to do so!
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby TheSegaDude » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:13 pm

I'm having trouble finding the Phantasy Star generation:1 spell names topic.
Can you link to it?
Sega Dude
http://retromegabit.com
TheSegaDude
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Tryphon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Good catches Sandy.

Yes, the wide names bother me too. An alternative would be to allow names on 2 lines, but it'd involve some difficult hacking.

Since Kyence didn't use lowercases, I could put the condensed chars there.
Tryphon
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby SandyLandale » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Thanks, and best of luck in finding a solution!

I totally understand why they weren't caught, too. Your eyes don't go to the enemy names and their HP when you're targeting an enemy, which is when you would see that... and since you're so focused on watching either the glow effect or the attack level bar to be sure you charged your attack right, you're trained to not really look elsewhere when targeting spells. I didn't even catch it until like 16 hours into the game!
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby chi89333 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Greetings

I been bothered by this NPC in Piata named Lot whom keeps talking about Ken Miller and a Key Item the Enhancer ???? This is before the party goes to Amedas. I never understood how to get this Key item the Enhancer???? Pardon me as i dun know to do a screen shot of that cos i dun know how to upload it in small size capture here.
chi89333
Locusta
Locusta

Postby SandyLandale » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Found this on ROMhacking.net regarding the Enhancer:

"To get the enhancer, you need to talk to someone in a house on Dezo, who will give you an item you then take back to the guy talking about it in Piata. It honestly improves the quality of life immensely, but the game is still quite difficult. The enhancer only allows you to do more damage--dezo mobs are still going to tear you up."

---

Now, bear in mind that I don't know Japanese, but I just realized that "maruera" is an anagram of "laerma." Laerma is ラエルマ (raeruma) in Japanese, according to the Phantasy Star Wiki. I can't find the kanji for maruera, but I'm willing to bet it's マルエラ (maruera). For consistency, should the term "maruera" become "marela"? Or should we ignore it?

---

Here are some more bug reports.

More spillover issues in enemy names.
Also known as vivify93.
SandyLandale
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Blaw- » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:01 pm

SandyLandale wrote:Now, bear in mind that I don't know Japanese, but I just realized that "maruera" is an anagram of "laerma." Laerma is ラエルマ (raeruma) in Japanese, according to the Phantasy Star Wiki. I can't find the kanji for maruera, but I'm willing to bet it's マルエラ (maruera). For consistency, should the term "maruera" become "marela"? Or should we ignore it?

"Marela" would be written "マレラ" (Marera").

More than an anagram, "マルエラ" is "ラエルマ" reversed (if you read it from right to left) so to fit the japanese name, it would require to be written as "Amreal" which unfortunately doesn't make any sense anymore.

"Maruela" would fit to the description, but not "Marela". Let me explain why :

If you want to write "Laerma" in japanese, as the "r" doesn't exist alone, you have to use a syllab, which is "ru" so it give "Laeruma".

But for "Marela", the syllab "re" exist, so no one would use "ru+e" for a "re", so you have to keep the "u" in the name, which would give "Maruela", and rather put the "u" back in "Laerma".
Blaw-
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff