PS Maker

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Wing-0 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:18 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
WING-0 wrote:If you want to make a PS game with a PS4 like combat system, you can do it, I just think that grabbing old sprites and "repurposing" for making a game with those same graphical limitations is not the way to go.

*looks at Mega Man 9 and 10*

I don't agree. I think there's something to be said for wanting to make a new Mega Drive RPG.

But it doesn't have to be the ONLY way. As I said, we are now free of those constrictions. In Megaman 9 and 10, Capcom decided to make the games like that because of an artistic sense. If someone wants to make an old style PS, then that's cool. Daren's example is good here. Still, what if I don't want to? What if I'd rather have a more complex animation, more complex sprites and options not found in PS4?
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby HTD » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:35 pm

Interesting,

I will answer my thoughts later about some topics you bought up.

Here is a simple one for the graphical topic.

The engine would allow a free range of graphics yes.

But to make graphics more advanced than the phantasy star style is difficult. That is one of the charms of using the old school look, you can convey alot more of a world by sacraficing detail yet allowing for quicker production time.

I personally adore the ps graphics but that isnt really your argument, it is more one of ambition.
You'd like to see Phantasy Star brought forward into the current generation but not be forced to have a retro graphical aspect about it correct?

Say if someone used a more detailed base like chrono trigger for the sprites, added animations for cut scenes and more variety within body types, different weapon animations, more detail overall.

This has been very interesting indeed.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby vilkacis » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:55 am

HTD wrote:I still feel though you need to be optimistic yet realistic, its a difficult balance.

I feel I am being realistic. :P

Seriously, there's been what, a half-dozen attempts to re-create PSIII? Even more? Only Lysander, a veteran in the RM community, actually succeeded (and he concentrated on the first generation, less than a third of the actual game). I think that says something for how these projects have a tendency to die - not just PS-related ones, but "game maker" stuff in general.

I'm not saying I'd never bother to contribute to another project ever again, but at this point, I would demand more than just "I have a cunning plan" before I jumped on board.

WING-0 wrote:Valkyrie Profile

...u... UNF. :shock:

Holy shit, if there were a game that combines the classic PS setting with a VP2 battle system, I would buy five copies.

And I would wear them all out before I was done.
vilkacis
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Wing-0 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:33 am

Ambition. That's exactly the word I was missing.

Yes. I think that allowing creators to place their vision in a digital format is what would succeed and draw people in.

Don't get me wrong, PS4's graphics are by my standards some of the most beautiful 2D graphics ever created for a game of that era. The amount of detail is sometimes so big it amazes me when I think of the imagination of the background designers.

The way RPG Maker XP works, games still look the way they did a lot of time ago, which is not so nice when someone has a different idea in mind.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby IndispensablePeaGuy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:20 pm

vilkacis wrote:
HTD wrote:I do feel though your attitude is what prevents projects from actualization.

My attitude is the direct result of years spent watching different interesting projects - some of which I've contributed to - appearing and fizzling out for any number of reasons. The community as a whole used to be more optimistic, but you get kind of tired of it after the tenth time you've worked on a script, proofreading or resource for someone who never posts again.

You've been involved in numerous fan projects? And here I thought you were just a stuck-up twat.
IndispensablePeaGuy
King Rappy
King Rappy

Postby HTD » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Come on guys, be nice now
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:16 am

i went back to working on my project.. but only at first.. when i announced i was getting back into it... people never responded.. so i assumed no one cared.. so i said screw it, and decided if no one cares, who am i making this game for?
I mean me yes, but others to.. but people kept bitching about my project, nitpicking at all kinds of things.. and it got annoying..
But then, i went back to it.. no one cared.. so.. meh... i would not satisfy anyone with my game anyhow.. people would hate the story and style and more... so.. no point in making it.
Would be nice to see this idea go through that you have, my biggest problem with making my project is i am NOT a coder, i am NOT a programmer.. i can barely make a story and graphics i was doing on my own...
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby BenoitRen » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:35 pm

Eh, the presence of feedback doesn't mean much. If someone finishes a fan game, people will jump on it. Guaranteed!
Get Xenoblade Chronicles!
BenoitRen

Postby ThugsRook » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:40 pm

a PS editor would be sooooo much better then another lame fan game :roll:
ThugsRook
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby mikepjr » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Honestly, yeah an editor would be awesome.
My biggest problem was in fact, coding and programing.
So if all that is already taken care of, i can just set up everything else.
It's less stress.
mikepjr
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby HTD » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Well If I can gather some finacial/design support, I'll do it but I can't pay for this whole project on my own back.

The goal would be to create it to be as user friendly as possible, even perhaps a character editor etc...

I need people who want to finacially contribute and also have ideas.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby LegoMuskCat » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:56 am

I believe your best bet would be to have this program geared towards a larger audience, as others said. The PS Community is very small, so if you can sucker a bunch of FF fans into paying for this instead with promises of a FF game creator, then that's an idea. :3

Seriously, if you were to have this programmer/coder come up with some RPG engine that supported multiple battle systems, menus, etc., then imagine the flexibility with that puppy! People LOVE options and freedom when it comes to game creation, and limiting yourself to one thing with something that has so much potential... Well, it may turn people away from that. :(
LegoMuskCat
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby skymandr » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:45 pm

Tsu wrote:Seriously, if you were to have this programmer/coder come up with some RPG engine that supported multiple battle systems, menus, etc., then imagine the flexibility with that puppy! People LOVE options and freedom when it comes to game creation, and limiting yourself to one thing with something that has so much potential... Well, it may turn people away from that. :(

I believe an even better solution, since this is open source, is to make just one menu ssytem and battle system etc, but to make those modular enough that they can easily be replaced by someone who wants to have it another way. That way the code will be attractive even to those who want it to make an FF like game, in that they can write new menu and battle modules while keeping the core components, while the main programmers can focus on what they want (a way for making PS like games).
skymandr
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby HTD » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:54 pm

The thing is, I wanted to make things like a character generator, portrait generator etc... this is all very specific to PS.

I am still quite dubious about the project.
HTD
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Edge » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:43 pm

I'd help with artwork contributions, but I ain't donating squat until I see a demo with a lot of potential. If I donated money on some piece of junk that never got released, I'd pull a J and Silent Bob and fly to your house like, "Yeah, we got some issues."
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Previous

Return to Fan stuff