Alys Brangwin fanart... I was bored and assessed that...

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Alys Brangwin fanart... I was bored and assessed that...

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 pm

... I should get my brain working on drawing more...

Especially because I was bored out of my pants and decided that practicing drawing instead of blowing a Metal Gear would be more productive. I'm still rusty, but it seems like the recent practice is acting like a good oil to my old skill. Scanned picture can be found here in a decent size:

Now, you may be asking yourselves: "What's with the slashers?" Well, there's a very simple and logical explanation. I always wondered how in hell would she throw and receive the boomerangs, slashers, whatever with her hands alone without getting her fingers cut off. So I was bored, and decided to concoct an idea on how she could. Those would be similar in idea to baseball gloves. If you catch a high speed ball, you're bound to hurt your soft tissue and potentially break your bones. Those things would be used to throw the weapons and receive them. If you inspect Alys's right hand, and go after her index finger, you'll notice a small trigger. That would be used to open the device and release the weapon. Upon releasing the trigger, the device would close itself as if it was biting something. Ideal for catching a very sharp object that rotates at a high speed.

Missagh: I haven't sent you the Nei pic, I keep forgetting. Instead, go to the link below, scroll down a bit and click the Nei image for a decently sized version. Same with Alys.

CLICK ME!!! YOU KNOW YOU WANNIT!! ......I like pie...

Little edit: Yes, I'm going to color this one.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Location: Damnation Street, Cocytus City, Northwestern Hell, Inferno. >=P

Postby Sange Mahlay » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Dude, that looks amazing! I love the concept for the slasher too. It occurs to me that with something like that Alys could also wield them in close combat.
"I'm broad-minded enough to concede that they might possibly not be complete idiots, but I much prefer the company of people who agree with me."
Sange Mahlay
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Daren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:53 pm

Honestly, why aren't you doing this professionally? I mean, you could make good money with your talent. Wing-0, Alys looks great I wouldn't change a thing.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:10 pm

Thanks for the comments. The idea of the slashers being able to be used as melee weapons did cross my mind. It'd be really cool to see Alys using them as short range weapons. It'd make her a lot more versatile.

And the reason I don't do this professionally is because... I used to... And I starved.

I've thought of starting an online manga at several times. I actually have a full story planned, but I don't have people I trust to help me. I mean, I KNOW people who are skilled artists, most of them much better than I am, but they all have their own lives and such. So do I.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Daren » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 pm

WING-0 wrote:Thanks for the comments. The idea of the slashers being able to be used as melee weapons did cross my mind. It'd be really cool to see Alys using them as short range weapons. It'd make her a lot more versatile.

And the reason I don't do this professionally is because... I used to... And I starved.

I've thought of starting an online manga at several times. I actually have a full story planned, but I don't have people I trust to help me. I mean, I KNOW people who are skilled artists, most of them much better than I am, but they all have their own lives and such. So do I.

The Slashers as a melee weapon would be a great idea making it a more powerful weapon if used like that and less powerful when thrown.

Why would you need people if you have the story and the skills to make it happen on your own? Perhaps you could use your skills to make some side money? I think you shouldn't let them go to waste...
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Wing-0 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 am

I have used my skills to get extra money. The problem is that I usually have absolutely NO TIME when I have classes. Job and class are not compatible and eat away at my free time, which I use to only relax or get quick cash fixing say, computers, broken fans, installing alarms, digitally restoring old photographies or something like that.

Drawing a comic strip by itself requires a lot of time for me. That Alys picture alone took me around 2 hours. Not because it's especially complicated, but because it involved getting a clear image in my mind, checking for her clothing, which I really couldn't remember correctly, drawing a very rough sketch, which you can see remains of in her hips and knee. The slashers weren't all that easy either, and you can see several errors that I plan to correct later.

Sure, part of the reason the time spent on this piece was so long, is because I'm still rusty. Drawing a comic strip, or even worse, a comic book is not just a matter of creating pretty pictures and adapting a story I have inside my skull. It's also a matter of time. I need to finish a segment within a certain timeframe before moving to something else, or I end up dropping it because I need to do something else.

So for now, I can only concentrate on getting back my skill close to where it used to be several years ago and bring my speed back to the point I had it and mix those two skills. Of course, I could make do with drawings that are not exactly clean, but depict proportions, speeds, etc. like in the manga Blade of the Immortal, which is one of the most beautiful creations I have ever read (not in its entirety, sadly)... Or even worse, invoke Tsutomi Nihei's lack of tidiness in his works (which are worth more than a single read), like Blame!, Biomega, etc.

It depends on what I need. Of course, I could get away with it because I have no one supervising me like I used to, and no one would be paying me... =P

I'll think about drawing a short story I have first, and maybe work on speed using that. After all, I'm on vacations and quit my old job, so next semester, I probably will have a bit more time. Especially in weekends.

I'll have to see how things go.
Wing-0
Dominator
Dominator

Postby Daren » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 am

WING-0 wrote:I have used my skills to get extra money. The problem is that I usually have absolutely NO TIME when I have classes. Job and class are not compatible and eat away at my free time, which I use to only relax or get quick cash fixing say, computers, broken fans, installing alarms, digitally restoring old photographies or something like that.

Drawing a comic strip by itself requires a lot of time for me. That Alys picture alone took me around 2 hours. Not because it's especially complicated, but because it involved getting a clear image in my mind, checking for her clothing, which I really couldn't remember correctly, drawing a very rough sketch, which you can see remains of in her hips and knee. The slashers weren't all that easy either, and you can see several errors that I plan to correct later.

Sure, part of the reason the time spent on this piece was so long, is because I'm still rusty. Drawing a comic strip, or even worse, a comic book is not just a matter of creating pretty pictures and adapting a story I have inside my skull. It's also a matter of time. I need to finish a segment within a certain timeframe before moving to something else, or I end up dropping it because I need to do something else.

So for now, I can only concentrate on getting back my skill close to where it used to be several years ago and bring my speed back to the point I had it and mix those two skills. Of course, I could make do with drawings that are not exactly clean, but depict proportions, speeds, etc. like in the manga Blade of the Immortal, which is one of the most beautiful creations I have ever read (not in its entirety, sadly)... Or even worse, invoke Tsutomi Nihei's lack of tidiness in his works (which are worth more than a single read), like Blame!, Biomega, etc.

It depends on what I need. Of course, I could get away with it because I have no one supervising me like I used to, and no one would be paying me... =P

I'll think about drawing a short story I have first, and maybe work on speed using that. After all, I'm on vacations and quit my old job, so next semester, I probably will have a bit more time. Especially in weekends.

I'll have to see how things go.

I understand where you're coming from, school can be an asshole sometimes and you did have a job. That's one of the problems today, we don't have enough time to ourselves, we are always taking care business, having long days and by the end of them we are mentally exhausted. Being creative needs us to take some time to relax and take it easy before having the right state of mind to being something...

What I'm saying though is that, your skill, at your "rusty" self is an amazing one which should not go to waste. I encourage you to start on your comic and please, when you finally start it, let me see it, I'd want to read it.
Daren
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Tanith » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:23 pm

Wow. I really should log in more here. This is the best Alys pic I've seen in a while. Great job, Wing-0, and I hope you'll do more when you have time.
"I don't go to very many social events apart from fires." - carlsojos
Tanith
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby H-Man » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Great pic!
H-Man
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Zucca » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:20 pm

This, I like.
I am NaN!