Side scrolling game

Discuss/post fan stuff (images, fictions, games...)

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:17 pm

After some thinking, we could do a slight group participation thing for this. Nothing really, really big. I would be the main programmer, as I have the Game Factory, as I said many times before, so I would set the backgrounds, animate the sprites, do the actions, impute the sounds, music, most the bulk of the work.

I would need Edless to provide me with the sprites, and backgrounds that he used for his pics. The other thing that we would sort of need, is someone to give us a story to work with.

Mostly, I have an idea that would follow Nei and Neifirst, where they are going about two separate paths, and once in awhile their paths would cross, and because Neifirst would be on a path of redemption, she would travel with Nei for a bit, where you can switch between the two of them.

I have tested, and I made my own switching system! Where all the number keys(The 1-0 ones.) had a character! But, having ten characters, is a bit overkill. Which is why I would like to do a 1, too 2 character game for now. With sort of simple characters.

I have an idea of how to do the magic system, but otherwise, to make a game like one of the more recent Castelvania ones, like the last DS title made so far(Best one by far, and you really felt like you were traveling around.) I have no idea what game making program you would need, to you know, make the stats, equipment, ect ect ect.

You would pretty much need the programs the companies use I think to make one that advanced.

Anyway, I know how to make a pretty good game, I just need the sprites, backgrounds, music, sound, and I'll be able to make a good game, I just need a good plot. Actually I have an idea for a plot, I just don't know where to go with it. I know where to go to an extent, but it needs more to it to.

More or less why I favor Nei and Neifirst for this, is because they're more melee users than magic users, which is really what is needed for Rune to work, and I have no idea how to give him more than one spell.

Nei and Neifirst would be simple. They have very little magic, and it's simple to do, so I should be able to do theirs.

Stages, as I said before, would be for the most part simple, but once in awhile, one that requires a bit of exploration. And I should be able to do a few town stages. Which would also help the story along.

So, what do you guys think? If it's a go, then I'll give you the animations details for our two female leads,(For certain animations) and the general plot.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Missagh » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:51 am

Very good idea... if I get the time (which I rarely have nowdays), I would love to contribute to some game scripting. I work in the creative business and have good experience in scripting (mainly for the screen though).
-- Missagh Alami, webmaster of Phantasy Star Cave.
Missagh
The Administrator
The Administrator

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:10 am

Dude, you write scripts for movies!!?!?? :shock:

Anyway, the general plot would be, that both Nei and Nefirst's remains were found, and taken(Or rather small samples were taken, but enough to work with.) to another planet, and Nei's was worked on most, as her's was the most complex, while Neifirst's was worked on afterward.(To pretty much make Nei whole, and fix the age problem, along with Neifirst's)

At one point, on they day they were both going to be awakened, something went wrong, and caused many of the other tests to get lose, and some of the robots to go berserk. With the fact that Both Nei and Neifirst were in separate areas, far away from each other, they don't know that they are together, and go separate ways. They would find weapons much like the ones they used before, as the scientists were able to see their memories to an extent, and figured out there fighting styles.

Nei knew she had to get out, and figure out what is going on, while Neifirst, with her emotions properly in check, feels that she has to redeem herself for her past actions.

So the first few stages would be them getting out of the laboratory, and they each get out in two different directions, unaware of each other for the time being.

Mostly the two of them end up wandering around the land, unaware of where they are, but they know it is not the planet they were on before. Neifirst would wonder if Darkforce (Or Falz) is behind what happened, and the evil that it going about the land.

I would think Dark Force wouldn't be behind it, but rather someone else. So, any ideas?

I have areas pretty well thought out, such as fields, mountain areas, forests, deserts, swamps, snow fields, caves,possibly down to crystal caverns.(If I can do crystal caverns. :? )
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby ThugsRook » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:03 am

this is very interesting, im curious to see where you guys go with this.

hack-n-slash?
schmup?
adventure?
driving? (!) :lol:
ThugsRook
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:13 am

More or less a hack and slash adventure, with two female leads, that are both very agile and attractive, and are not weak.

Anyway, this should be a pretty good project once the Nei and Neifirst sprites are complete. Need any help with poses or animation ideas Edless? I should be able to help with that after all. :wink:
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edless » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:00 pm

Here is for Alisa

I have to say that I cheated for this one as normaly, Myau and Alisa's sprite are brighter but because it doesn't fit the set, I painted a slight shadow around them that darkened the original colors.

I'll post a non modified sprite and also answer the topic ;)

EDIT

EDIT

Ok and the reason I went with a Rune is because I have some material to work with.
For instance, here is a walking sheet

There is a slight difference between Castlevania and PS's Sprites (About 2 or 3 sprites) and that's a shame cause It'd take longer to enlarge the animations so it fits the PS's size.
Nonetheless PS's sprites are nice to watch.

Anyway here is Soma's sprite sheet with the animation we could use.

I don't know if I have a sheet that could help me do a Nei move sheet.

Still, a fan game could be fun and we should talk about it.
Edless
Blastoid
Blastoid

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice Alis pic. :D

Hmmmm, I know the Camilla sprites don't have the animations in them. But, as for someone to base the animation frames on, here is Shanoa.

I realize that Shanoa is wearing a skirt, but I think her animations can go either way for Nei, and Neifirst.

You would just have to add and remove a few things, like just a few frames to make a full slashing attack. Not much, but enough. Or, you could make a sprite, over the Shanoa ones. Sort of like a sprite skeleton.

Either way, I think Shanoa would be a good base, just requires a bit of tweaking to see both legs. So, is the idea a go? Someone else might be able to do something with the Rune sprite, heck, we could even do a sprite comic if we have enough animations, but we're talking fangame at the moment.

So yeah, I do have a pretty good fangame in mind, I would just need the sprites for the playable characters, and for the enemies, and the backgrounds.

And a little help with the plot, but I'm sure we could work something out.

EDIT

Now that I think about it, this pic here is pretty much the concept for my fangame idea.

So use Shanoa's animation's as sort of a base for these two. And Neifirst should be standing how she is in your pic, nice and firm, but where her front is facing us, not her back.

I have a few animation ideas should you like to hear them. :wink:
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Zucca » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:31 pm

Side comment:
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Zucca » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:23 pm

If you really plan a game, please take some influences from Jewel Master. I really like it's game style.
Those who have played it: just replace the final boss with Zio and imagine the rest.
Just forget the ring system. ;) Instead add feature to learn skills from boss enemies etc...
I am NaN!
Zucca
Neifirst
Neifirst

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:46 pm

I do, I just need the sprite sheets and backgrounds, sounds, and music to do so. But, to put in learning skills from the bosses.....hmmm.....not sure if the Games Factory game pull that off, but maybe.....we'll have to see.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby NickyP » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Your edits are pretty impressive there, Edless. Had I not been working on something PStar related already, I'd ask if you were interested in making sheets of these style sprites for a side-scrolling beat em' up.
NickyP
Xanafalgue
Xanafalgue

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:43 pm

How Edless, could you check the PM I sent you when you get the chance?
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edge » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:58 pm

This is looking awesome... You don't have to limit yourself to game factory though... There are countless possibilities out there, but I guess if you already know the GF system, and editing, then that'd be the quickest route to take... Either way, very exciting, I hope this happens.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

Postby Mega Man model T 101 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Well, the only real thing I don't quite know how to pull off in the games factory, is the enemy AI. But, I know that there are probably better ones out there, I just don't know which one is the best to go with. :?

I would like one similar to the games factory, cause, that way I know how to setup the character, animations for the character, and how to set up the backgrounds and such.

I would love to put in a scrolling background, but the GF can't do that. But, I can't figure out the GM/Game Maker if my life depended on it, even with the tutorials that you can download.

But here is something to take note, here is a game that is being made with the GM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiQXP7vMBRw

That, is amazing! And I can't even get my first level to even run! The one I tried to make on GM I mean, and I couldn't even figure out how to get backgrounds and such in.

But, otherwise, the GM seems like a good way to go, but I can't figure it out worth a ding dong. But, if someone could help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I mean, look at that vid! That's what I would be able to create, if I could just, figure, out, how, to, make, it, work! Sorry for my slight rant, but I can tell the GM has the proper potential for this project.

Hmmmm, now that I think about it, I do have an account on youtube, and I did ask before over there, what program he was using. Hmmmm, do you think I could ask him if he could post his test thing, as a tutorial?

Because I tried to follow a tutorial for the platform genre, and even with that I couldn't figure out GM. I ad an idea of what to do with the sprites, that much I learned, but how to set the backgrounds and be able to have the level work? That it didn't help much.

So, any suggestions guys? I open to them.
Mega Man model T 101
Locusta
Locusta

Postby Edge » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm

Okay... That demo is fricken sweet... I'm huge in the rpgmaking community, more so on the older IRC, and the only game makers I am really good with are the classic rm2k, rpgmaker 2003, RMXP, RMVX, and then some knowledge in BYOND... And any game on BYOND is usually a disappointment to say the least.

However, when there was ever anything I couldn't figure out on one of those programs, I'd download someone elses game, and learn the system off what they've already made... I'm not saying steal someone's resources, I'm saying examine someone's source, and try to rebuild it yourself... I dunno if this is even possible in Game Maker, and maybe I need to educate myself some more on it... But, I do know if you could do what this guy is doing, a Phantasy Star side scroller would be amazing... His move where he moves his hand back, and blocked an enemy attack, could be redrawn into a split second orb for Deban! He moves back uber quick, in a dash move... Swift! Or was it shift? I can't remember... Either way, that demo looks freakin' awesome.

EDIT: Also, black magic wouldn't really need to be programmed into the system (his spear thing or whatever), because Nei really had no offensive spells at all, and the animations on Nei First's attacks implied more so of a weapon technique, rather than a offensive magical spell.
I've traveled back in time... 300 years... Just to call you a "Cracker"!
Edge
Scorpius
Scorpius

PreviousNext

Return to Fan stuff