Dark Energy by carlsojos

Chapter 33

Monsen is a dusty town, mostly isolated by quicksand, and framed by the sunset. In the past, Piata Academy considered this place the epicenter of most earthquakes, but it's been mostly silent here for the past thousand years. The jagged cliffs that had formed in town are now eroding away, without anything to force them to grow further. We make our way into the inn, just inside the town. I ring the bell at the counter, and someone in the back speaks, Can I help you?

We're the hunters you commissioned.

You are? I've been waiting for- The man stopped when he stepped into the room and saw us. You are all hunters?

Etirn steps up to the counter. It's a long story, but yes. Ignore the student ID on my shirt. I look over, and sure enough, he is still wearing his ID card. I prefer to keep mine in a pocket, so I don't stand out when I'm away from school.

The man shrugs. Well, a sandworm has been crawling on the edge of town for some time, now. It hasn't come into town yet, and nobody's been killed. But I'm worried about the kids, and it just has to go. We don't need a ranch in this town.

I nod. Don't worry. We'll get rid of it. We walk outside.

Ray pulls us aside to discuss strategy before we patrol the border of town. The easiest way to bring out a sandworm is to attack its infants. One of them will probably go underground, and up comes momma. However, a wild sandworm is no joke. Be ready to fight for your life.

We start patrolling the perimeter of the town. About an hour later, we happen upon a group of four little blue worms. Ray motions to Etirn as he leveled his weapon against one. Don't use that yet. We need one alive. Ray pulls out his throwing weapon, and launches it skyward. With amazing precision, he manages to strike all four with one throw, and catches it. The worms begin to advance towards us, now aware of our position. Ray and I time ourselves to the worms popping out, and we strike at them. I manage to kill my mark, and Ray crippled his. Etirn kicks at the closest one to him. It bites back.

Bastard! Etirn uses his weapon in revenge. The last one strikes at me, but I parry the blow and backhand it, to keep it alive. Smarting from the blow, it starts to tunnel under the sand, away from us.

Ray runs after it. Don't lose it! Unfortunately, it starts tunneling down, too deep to hear its movements, but we begin to notice a small shaking in the distance. Ray puts his hand on the ground. Either there's a small earthquake, or we get to talk to mommy now. Etirn puts another cartridge in his weapon as I steel myself for round two. The ground starts to tremble, and suddenly a massive creature rises out of the sand. A massive brown worm, just the part we can see is larger than the Land Rover! Don't hold back! Ray charges the beast with a broadsword. I notice the sword started to glow as he charged. When he swung, a streak of energy followed the blade, burning into the worm's leathery hide. I don't have any fancy moves myself, so I just unleash as many blows as fast as I can. The monster strikes back with tentacles hidden in its mouth, knocking me back several feet. I hear a bang as Etirn fires at the monster. I get up; nope, nothing broke. I see Ray cast a Foi spell, but the worm isn't phased by the flames.

Heat won't penetrate its hide! I yell out, and charge forth again. This time, the creature dives under me, the loose sand collapsing the hole before I could go after it. I look around, and suddenly, the ground shakes so violently, all three of us get thrown around like rag dolls. The monster resurfaces, so I spit out my mouthful of sand and strike at it again. I manage six blows before I'm knocked back again... okay, that one hurt. I force myself to stand. I need to get stronger... I feel a strange power forming inside, and I decide to will it into my hand. The energy bursts, and flows towards the three of us. It seems to manifest in front of us for a second.

What did you do, Marika? Etirn fires off another round.

I don't know! Ray finds himself receiving the next blow, but the sandworm's tentacle things seem to glance off of him. He executes a crosscut over the sandworm's mouth with the broadsword.

It's a Deban technique. Ray backs up as I charge the monster again, and again get knocked to the ground. I heard a tearing sound as I flew away this time. I decide to stay down to catch my breath for a second....

I hear a bang, and a few seconds later, a much, much bigger bang. I look at the monster to see a large hole in it. Etirn is holding something red. He seems to be smiling. Yep, dynamite works. I sit up, and realize the tearing was my shirt being destroyed. My carbon suit is still underneath, but I fasten my jacket closed before the other two can notice. I stand up as the beast finally falls.

What's Deban? I ask Ray.

That technique you used. Didn't you know? I shake my head. Well, it's a technique that generates energy around a group of people. The resulting shield can deflect physical blows somewhat and absorb some magic. It doesn't replace a good set of armor, Ray pats one of his pauldrons, but it does help. I can't believe you don't know that, though. It takes a bit of training to master a technique.

I guess not me. I've never even heard of Deban before.

Well, tell you what, Ray reaches into his kit bag and procures a small booklet. Read this. It is a field book on various combat techniques. Maybe you could use it more than me. I put it in my jacket pocket as we walked back to the inn.


The innkeeper had watched the fight through a window. It's dead? Oh, thank Light!

I nod. You can't judge a book by its cover.

No, of course not. You guys just look like students- well, two of you anyway. I'll let you stay the night, free of charge!

Sorry, but we're in a bit of a hurry. Do you know if anybody has clothes to barter? Etirn looks at me a little sideways, but says nothing.

Yeah, just next door is the local trader. He'll be happy to give you something. I borrow some money from Etirn, and head over there while he and Ray went to the Land Rover. I wound up buying a new undersuit, made of a different, thicker graphite material, and when I mentioned the sandworm, he threw in a couple t shirts, free of charge.

These little things aren't too popular with us old folk, the trader said. I rush into the Land Rover as it was leaving, and read through that field book on the way back. By the time we reached Kadary, I had managed to learn Res, a simple way to mend a wound without any supplies. I practice on the cuts I had gotten during the fight with the sandworm.

Next chapter

Join Phantasy Star Cave discord server and hang out with other RPG buffs. It’s free. Let’s beat quarantine boredom together!